Friday, September 16, 2022

⭐️ð—”ð—Ąð—Ąð—œð—Đ𝗘ð—Ĩð—Ķ𝗔ð—Ĩ𝗎: 𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐒𝐓⭐️

ðŸŽķ"𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐒𝐓"ðŸŽķ is one of the first tracks that Brian ever wrote for the band. 26 years ago today, on 16th of September 1996, it was released as Placebo's third single on CD and as 7' vinyl single. The song, recorded at Westland Studios in Dublin and produced by Brad Wood, reached number 30 on the UK Singles Chart.
It was played live 409 times over the years, and between 1995 and 2017 there was not one single year when it wasn't brought on stage at least once.

Photo credit: Stefan de Batselier, Screenshots from the video / edit by Silke

🎎 ð—§ð—˜ð—˜ð—Ąð—”ð—šð—˜ ð—”ð—Ąð—šð—Ķ𝗧 – ð—Ē𝗙𝗙𝗜𝗖𝗜𝗔𝗟 ð—Đ𝗜𝗗𝗘ð—Ē
ðŸŽĩ http://bit.ly/2VMY1DI ðŸŽĩ


The music clip was directed by Trevor Robinson. It shows the band members locked in a red latex cube, all three of them are dressed in the same red colour. Several teenagers also enter this cube and show how anxious they are.


📌 𝗧𝗛𝗘 ð—•ð—”ð—Ąð—— ð—Ēð—Ą 𝗧𝗛𝗘 ð—Đ𝗜𝗗𝗘ð—Ē 𝗖𝗟𝗜ð—Ģ 📌
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘧ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “It was sunny, it was a summer day.“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “I had tonsillitis.“
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘧ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “It’s got a very suggestive entrance.“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “This video was directed by Trevor Robinson, who responsible for the Tango adverts, where the fat orange man slaps people across the faces. I think is the only video he made. Maybe because the experience of working with us must be so traumatic, he’s never made one again.“
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘧ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “It was very very hot. It was like a box, so no air conditioning.“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “As you can see, this is before we start work with professional stylists.“
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘧ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “There was a big deal about this guy. His parents had to give permission for us to shave his head.“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “There was a hoo-ha about the scissors. Because that’s a video police regulation – you can have closed scissors but not open scissors, so the director was nervous, but you can have clippers, obviously.“
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘧ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “It’s obviously not shot inside that box.“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “That was what we call a tongue piercing. Have you had much experience with tongue piercings?“
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘧ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “I don’t like them. I don’t like metal against teeth.“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “I find it quite nice, really. Hot and cold, you know? Kind of fleshy and metal.“
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘧ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “Don’t like that either.“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “It’s quite nice. What the hell are we wearing?“
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘧ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “Red. We’re trying to break that latex.“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “Put that away.“
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘧ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “It was very durable.“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ & 𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘷ð˜Ķ: “This kid is angry.“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ:“Yeah, those kids are really angry.“
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘧ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “Did that hurt?“
𝘉ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ēð˜Ŋ: “No!“
𝘚ð˜ĩð˜Ķ𝘷ð˜Ķ: “He felt nowt.“
(“Once more with feeling“ DVD, 2004)


📌 𝗗𝗘𝗠ð—Ē ð—Đ𝗘ð—Ĩð—Ķ𝗜ð—Ēð—Ą 📌
The demo version of "Teenage Angst" from 1995 includes the line “Well I was suicidal once / but now honestly I am fine“ which was replaced by “Airs and social graces / elocution so divine“ in the version that was finally released. I think the record label wasn't too happy about the lyrics dealing with suicide and so the song text had to be changed.

📀 ð—§ð—˜ð—˜ð—Ąð—”ð—šð—˜ ð—”ð—Ąð—šð—Ķ𝗧 – 𝗗𝗘𝗠ð—Ē ð—Đ𝗘ð—Ĩð—Ķ𝗜ð—Ēð—Ą (ðŸĩðŸą)
ðŸŽĩ https://bit.ly/3QsDQok ðŸŽĩ


📌 𝗟𝗜ð—Đ𝗘 𝗛𝗜ð—Ķ𝗧ð—Ēð—Ĩ𝗎 📌
“Teenage Angst“ is part of the band's repertoire prior to the release of their debut album in 1996. It has been performed in notably different versions. It was played live 414 confirmed times over the years, and between 1995 and 2017 there was not one single year when it wasn't brought on stage at least once. The first time ever was on January 23rd 1995 at Rock Garden in London. This was also the very first Placebo concert. The last time “Teenage Angst“ was played live was on October 8th 2017 in Dundee, Scotland, during the “20 years“ anniversary tour.
The original version was staged up until 2000. A piano-based version was played during the “Black market music“, “Meds“ and „Battle for the sun“ tours.
During the „Sleeping with ghosts“ tour “Teenage Angst“ was played with a hip-hop inspired drum beat. At the end of the “Battle for the sun“ tour in 2010, the song was performed with a new arrangement. Another rework appeared during the “Loud like love“ tour.

Photo credit: Screenshot from the official video

📌 𝗕ð—Ĩð—œð—”ð—Ą ð—Ēð—Ą “ð—§ð—˜ð—˜ð—Ąð—”ð—šð—˜ ð—”ð—Ąð—šð—Ķ𝗧“ 📌
ðŸ“Ē ”That’s a song that refuses to die. That’s a classic, because if you cover it in three different ways, then it has to be a classic [laughs].”
(Vanyaland, October 18th 2013)


ðŸ“Ē "Well, that was something my mother said to me: She was talking about ageing, wrinkling, skin drying up and stuff. This was when I was about 14. She said that as soon as you pop out of the womb you start to deteriorate. I actually found her words quite disturbing but, y'know, she's a religious kind of person."
(Vox, July 1996)


🎎 ð—§ð—˜ð—˜ð—Ąð—”ð—šð—˜ ð—”ð—Ąð—šð—Ķ𝗧 – ð—Ģð—œð—”ð—Ąð—Ē ð—Đ𝗘ð—Ĩð—Ķ𝗜ð—Ēð—Ą
ðŸŽĩ https://bit.ly/3dw6cuy ðŸŽĩ


ðŸ“Ē “We kind of keep re-writing a lot of songs in order for them to become playable for us so that we can connect with them. Most recently, we’re on our fourth version of “Teenage Angst” from the first album. We have a brand new version of that, which is actually my favorite of the tour. It took 20 years since I wrote that song for us to settle on what I think is the definitive version, but that’s ok.“
(Pure Volume, September 12th 2013)


ðŸ“Ē “When we do stuff from the first album, we try to do different versions. We have an interesting hip-hop version of 'Teenage Angst' at the moment. I am having a lot of fun with it, it gives me a chance to do my Bono bit with a wireless microphone. I am doing that more and more.”
(The Sentimentalist - Issue XII, 2003)


ðŸ“Ē “That's the difference between "Teenage Angst" and the new version of the song, which has become very melancholic, which we transformed more and more to that during our tour. We want to explore the scope of our skills more and more and the tendency is towards melancholy. But we can say about ourselves today, when we go there, we really go in that direction, it's not playing around anymore, the emotions are real, we don't need to pretend to anything. When you see us on stage on our next tour, you really see us. That's Placebo.”
(Discover, September 1998)

Photo credit: Scarlet Page, Screenshots from the video / edit by Silke


𝘛ð˜Đð˜Ķ 𝘭𝘚ð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ī ð˜ĩ𝘰 '𝘛ð˜Ķð˜Ķð˜Ŋð˜Ēð˜Ļð˜Ķ 𝘈ð˜Ŋð˜Ļð˜īð˜ĩ' ð˜īð˜ąð˜ģ𝘊ð˜Ŋð˜Ļð˜ī ð˜ĩ𝘰 ð˜Ū𝘊ð˜Ŋð˜Ĩ: '𝘚𝘊ð˜Ŋð˜Īð˜Ķ 𝘐 ð˜ļð˜Ēð˜ī ð˜Ģ𝘰ð˜ģð˜Ŋ, 𝘐 ð˜īð˜ĩð˜Ēð˜ģð˜ĩð˜Ķð˜Ĩ ð˜ĩ𝘰 ð˜Ĩð˜Ķð˜Īð˜Ē𝘚...' 𝘈 ð˜Ļð˜ģ𝘰ð˜ĩð˜Ķð˜īð˜ēð˜ķð˜Ķ𝘭𝘚 ð˜Ģ𝘭ð˜Ķð˜Ē𝘎 𝘊ð˜Ūð˜Ēð˜Ļð˜Ķ.
ðŸ“Ē "But it's true. As soon as you pop out of the womb, you start to die. It's the paradox that you begin life but you also begin death. The use of toy instruments enables us to communicate that on a sonic level."
(Guitarist, August 1997)


🎎 ð—§ð—˜ð—˜ð—Ąð—”ð—šð—˜ ð—”ð—Ąð—šð—Ķ𝗧 – 𝗛𝗜ð—Ģ 𝗛ð—Ēð—Ģ ð—Đ𝗘ð—Ĩð—Ķ𝗜ð—Ēð—Ą
ðŸŽĩ https://bit.ly/3dIANW7 ðŸŽĩ


ðŸ“Ē "When I was a teenager, I felt things in more passionate ways, I've gone through rebellion phases. I was feeling depressed, I felt like the world was about to collapse. A sort of alienation towards parents, a rebellion against what they wanted me to become, against growing, going through this kind of changes. My emotions were going in many directions because physically, I was becoming an adult. I was longing for it, but I was still dealt with as a child. Art and creativity were minor things, unknown in my familly. That's surely for that reason, I reacted so violently. I became the ugly duckling: my father wanted me to become a businessman, and my mother wanted me to be a saint. Finally, I satisfied none of them. At this age, music can represent many things, be the last emergency exit. Play guitar was a sort of outlet to my familly troubles, to authority. My parents didn't contribute at all to what I am today and that's marvellous. I am here today only by myself. I need to have success, very selfishly, to refute all people who thought I would not go far in life, to show it to the people who were better than me at school, my rivals in every way, my parents.”
(Les Inrocks, August 13th 1996)


ðŸ“Ē "I've always been a loner. The three of us are like that, we have gone through adolescence locked in our room, playing music. And like many boys this age, I was dreaming to become a star. A city like Luxembourg can be stifling when you try to forge your identity. I couldn't be myself there. I felt secluded there, far from the places where I wanted to be. There was no place where I could have expressed myself, found a feedback. From this isolation, I made songs, 'Teenage Angst' or 'Burger Queen', because fatally that made me a voyeur. It's not the best place to observe the world.”
(Les Inrockuptibles N°169, August 14th 1998)


🎎 ð—§ð—˜ð—˜ð—Ąð—”ð—šð—˜ ð—”ð—Ąð—šð—Ķ𝗧 – 𝗟𝗜ð—Đ𝗘 ð—Ēð—Ą 𝗝ð—Ēð—Ē𝗟ð—Ķ 𝗛ð—Ēð—Ÿð—Ÿð—”ð—Ąð—— (𝟭ðŸĩðŸĩðŸģ)
ðŸŽĩ https://bit.ly/3JU0Fig ðŸŽĩ

Photo credit: Screenshot from the official video

📜 𝗟𝗎ð—Ĩ𝗜𝗖ð—Ķ
Shine the headlight,
Straight into my eyes.
Like the roadkill,
I'm paralysed.
You see through my disguise

At the drive-in,
Double feature,
Pull the lever,
Break the fever
And say your last goodbyes.

Since I was born
I started to decay
Now nothing ever
Ever goes my way

One fluid gesture,
Like stepping back in time
Trapped in amber, petrified
I’m still not satisfied

Airs and social graces,
Elocution so divine
I’ll stick to my needle
And my favourite waste of time
Both spineless and sublime

Since I was born
I started to decay
Now nothing ever
Ever goes my way

Post by Silke