William Control, whose music I like a lot, later did a cover version of “Every me Every you” which I also share in this post. Let us know what you think about the chat and the added songs.
![]() |
| Photo credit: Scarlet Page (Molko), unknown (4) / edit by Silke |
Brian Molko: “You too, you too. It was a good night fot both of us.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘠𝘦𝘢𝘩, 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘧𝘶𝘯; 𝘐 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘦𝘦𝘵 𝘔𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘓𝘰𝘢𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵.”
Brian: “Ah, shit. I was downstairs doing the while pictures and press thing when Meat Loaf made his apppearance. I was very disappointed about that. Where are you?”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘐 𝘢𝘮 𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘗𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘢𝘤𝘰𝘭𝘢, 𝘍𝘭𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘥𝘢.”
Brian: “Okay – I think I'm in a studio apartment opposite the Chelsea Hotel in New York City.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘊𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘴𝘦𝘢 𝘏𝘰𝘵𝘦𝘭. 𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘮𝘢𝘻𝘪𝘯𝘨.”
Brian: “Yeah, it's kinda funky.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘚𝘰, 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘩, 𝘸𝘦 𝘮𝘦𝘵 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘒𝘦𝘳𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨! 𝘈𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘥𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘨𝘦𝘦𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘰𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘣𝘪𝘵...”
Brian: “No man, you were buzzing. You were on a high from getting your award, so it's a good vibe.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘏𝘰𝘸'𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘞𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘙𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘨𝘦 𝘨𝘰?”
Brian: “It went really, really well. Reaqlly good. It's taken about ten years but I think America's finally waking up on us, so, I think we're going to come back and tour some more [in 2007].”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘞𝘦'𝘳𝘦 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘚𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘶𝘦𝘴, 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘚𝘩𝘰𝘸𝘣𝘰𝘹.”
Brian: “Yeah, I remember that.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘥𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘦 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘦𝘥; 𝘸𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦. 𝘚𝘰, 𝘸𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 '𝘍𝘶𝘤𝘬!'”
Brian: “Yeah, that was kind of crazy. It was around Halloween, and there were people in the audience dressed as Jesus and penises and things like that. It was fun. Jesus showed up with a nurse, actually. And this other guy was just walking around like a hard-on all night. You know, bumping into people and rubbing himself up against people. [laughs] It was a really good vibe, actually.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘐𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘨𝘶𝘺𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘴𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘥𝘶𝘭𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴. 𝘈𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘵𝘸𝘰 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘢 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘢𝘭𝘣𝘶𝘮 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘵. 𝘋𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘪𝘤𝘶𝘭𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘰𝘳 𝘭𝘺𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘴?”
Brian: “Not really, because we're the kind of band that seems to be in a continual state of writing. Stefan and I, we tinker with ideas by ourselves a lot, but we usually kind of take advantage bof the fact that we get bored of our songs quite quickly. We take advantage of the fact that we got a big PA system behind us at soundchecks, so we just kind of jam a lot – new musocal ideas come out of that quite organically. It normally starts happening six months into a tour. You know, when the songs on the new album aren't as fresh as they were for the first six months. And I think we haven't made the decision about what the Placebo sound should be and what a Placebo song is. If we write it and we like it and we have an emotional connection with it – regardless of what the instrumentation might be – it's still Placebo. It leaves us with a great deal of possibilities.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘞𝘦𝘭𝘭, '𝘔𝘦𝘥𝘴' 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘵𝘰𝘱 𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘣𝘶𝘮𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦, 𝘴𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵.”
Brian: “Well, thank you.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘞𝘦𝘭𝘭, '𝘔𝘦𝘥𝘴' 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘵𝘰𝘱 𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘣𝘶𝘮𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦, 𝘴𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵.”
Brian: “Don't be, man. Don't be. Before I was famous and I saw celebrities, I just kind of thought to myself, “Well, there's absolutely nothing I could say to them that would actually be interesting, so I'll just leave them with their own personal space”. Anything I could say they've probably heard 100 times before. Because of that, I can't really relate to that directly, but most of the time it's quite charming. If we go to Mexico we get treated like The Beatles. It's like us in 'A hard day's night' running down the street. [Wil laughs] In France, I kind of have to walk around with security – which I find extremely amusing – but I do everything I can to not appear like some kind of showoff about it because in all honesty, I would rather that I didn't have to.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘸𝘦𝘪𝘳𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘨𝘯𝘪𝘻𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘓𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘰𝘯.”
Brian: “I'm in New York right now, and this time is the first time that I've ever been recognized by people here. In the USA, it's still kind of a healthy level for me. I find that over here people are much easier to talk to and are much more polite. They have a tendence to respect your privacy and your personal space as far as fans are concerned. I think you have to understand that for these people who approach you, it's something really special, and you have to do your best not to get cynical about it. But they have to understand that you could also be having a bad day and that you may not want to apend your time with them. You might be living in your own head for that day, or you've been dumped, or somebody in your family is very ill, or you haven't taken your meds by accident and you might just not be ready for it.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘐𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭. 𝘐𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘴𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘯𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘳𝘶𝘯 𝘶𝘱 𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘴, 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘈𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘢, 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺'𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘯𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘷𝘦. 𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯, 𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘢𝘺 “𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳”, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺'𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶. 𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵.”
Brian: “Yeah, that's been my experience as well. I don't know why it's like that. I really don't.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘳?”
Brian: “Latin America is fantastic. Have you been there yet?”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘕𝘰, 𝘸𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘯'𝘵.”
Brian: “Oh, you gotta go! It's the craziest audiences. The most generous, demonstrative audiences. We've played in Mexico in front of 17.000 people, and honestly, I felt like we were The Beatles playing the Shea Stadium. All I could fucking hear was the snare drum and my vocals. I couldn't hear anything else apart from the 17.000 crazy Mexicans screaming.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘚𝘰, 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘩, 𝘸𝘦 𝘮𝘦𝘵 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘒𝘦𝘳𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨! 𝘈𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘥𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘨𝘦𝘦𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘰𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘣𝘪𝘵...”
Brian: “No man, you were buzzing. You were on a high from getting your award, so it's a good vibe.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘏𝘰𝘸'𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘞𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘙𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘨𝘦 𝘨𝘰?”
Brian: “It went really, really well. Reaqlly good. It's taken about ten years but I think America's finally waking up on us, so, I think we're going to come back and tour some more [in 2007].”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘞𝘦'𝘳𝘦 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘚𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘶𝘦𝘴, 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘚𝘩𝘰𝘸𝘣𝘰𝘹.”
Brian: “Yeah, I remember that.”
| Photo credit unknown |
Brian: “Yeah, that was kind of crazy. It was around Halloween, and there were people in the audience dressed as Jesus and penises and things like that. It was fun. Jesus showed up with a nurse, actually. And this other guy was just walking around like a hard-on all night. You know, bumping into people and rubbing himself up against people. [laughs] It was a really good vibe, actually.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘐𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘨𝘶𝘺𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘴𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘥𝘶𝘭𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴. 𝘈𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘵𝘸𝘰 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘢 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘢𝘭𝘣𝘶𝘮 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘵. 𝘋𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘪𝘤𝘶𝘭𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘰𝘳 𝘭𝘺𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘴?”
Brian: “Not really, because we're the kind of band that seems to be in a continual state of writing. Stefan and I, we tinker with ideas by ourselves a lot, but we usually kind of take advantage bof the fact that we get bored of our songs quite quickly. We take advantage of the fact that we got a big PA system behind us at soundchecks, so we just kind of jam a lot – new musocal ideas come out of that quite organically. It normally starts happening six months into a tour. You know, when the songs on the new album aren't as fresh as they were for the first six months. And I think we haven't made the decision about what the Placebo sound should be and what a Placebo song is. If we write it and we like it and we have an emotional connection with it – regardless of what the instrumentation might be – it's still Placebo. It leaves us with a great deal of possibilities.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘞𝘦𝘭𝘭, '𝘔𝘦𝘥𝘴' 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘵𝘰𝘱 𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘣𝘶𝘮𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦, 𝘴𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵.”
Brian: “Well, thank you.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘞𝘦𝘭𝘭, '𝘔𝘦𝘥𝘴' 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘵𝘰𝘱 𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘣𝘶𝘮𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦, 𝘴𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵.”
Brian: “Don't be, man. Don't be. Before I was famous and I saw celebrities, I just kind of thought to myself, “Well, there's absolutely nothing I could say to them that would actually be interesting, so I'll just leave them with their own personal space”. Anything I could say they've probably heard 100 times before. Because of that, I can't really relate to that directly, but most of the time it's quite charming. If we go to Mexico we get treated like The Beatles. It's like us in 'A hard day's night' running down the street. [Wil laughs] In France, I kind of have to walk around with security – which I find extremely amusing – but I do everything I can to not appear like some kind of showoff about it because in all honesty, I would rather that I didn't have to.”
![]() |
| Photo credit: Nadav Kander |
Brian: “I'm in New York right now, and this time is the first time that I've ever been recognized by people here. In the USA, it's still kind of a healthy level for me. I find that over here people are much easier to talk to and are much more polite. They have a tendence to respect your privacy and your personal space as far as fans are concerned. I think you have to understand that for these people who approach you, it's something really special, and you have to do your best not to get cynical about it. But they have to understand that you could also be having a bad day and that you may not want to apend your time with them. You might be living in your own head for that day, or you've been dumped, or somebody in your family is very ill, or you haven't taken your meds by accident and you might just not be ready for it.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘐𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭. 𝘐𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘴𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘯𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘳𝘶𝘯 𝘶𝘱 𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘴, 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘈𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘢, 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺'𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘯𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘷𝘦. 𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯, 𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘢𝘺 “𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳”, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺'𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶. 𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵.”
Brian: “Yeah, that's been my experience as well. I don't know why it's like that. I really don't.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘳?”
Brian: “Latin America is fantastic. Have you been there yet?”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘕𝘰, 𝘸𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘯'𝘵.”
Brian: “Oh, you gotta go! It's the craziest audiences. The most generous, demonstrative audiences. We've played in Mexico in front of 17.000 people, and honestly, I felt like we were The Beatles playing the Shea Stadium. All I could fucking hear was the snare drum and my vocals. I couldn't hear anything else apart from the 17.000 crazy Mexicans screaming.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘞𝘰𝘸, 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺. 𝘞𝘦'𝘳𝘦 𝘴𝘰 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴, 𝘸𝘦'𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 – 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘜.𝘚. 𝘰𝘧 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘦. 𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘰 𝘵𝘰 𝘢 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘓𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘯 𝘈𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘢 𝘰𝘳 𝘍𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 “𝘞𝘰𝘸, 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦?” 𝘐𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮𝘴 𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘻𝘺. 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘪𝘧 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘣𝘶𝘺 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦.”
Brian: “That's starting to matter a little bit less and less. People will have heard of you because the access to music is so much simpler and more democratic these days. People will have heard of you, and you'll be surprised where you'll have an audience. WE were always surprised when we'd go to Russia or somewhere Eastern Europe. We recently went to China and Korea. You think to yourself “Fucking nobody is going to have heard of us.” But there are people there who are just obsessed. I'd say go to places even if it's not financially viable – even if the tour costs you money – because there will be fans there and what you're doing by making an effort to go to these far-flung places, you're really capturing the hearts of those people who sometimes are quite starved for music and starved for bands. So you end up with kind of the most generous and crazy crowds because of that. Bands who have lasted the test of time are bands who have made that effort to tour. To become an extremely good live band – considering that 39 out of 40 songs are downloaded off the internet illegally – the ones who rely solely on record sales may not survive. Sometimes I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but one thing it's doing is sorting out the men from the boys, as far as live performances are concerned. [Pauses] Oh, something weird just happened in this apartment that made a very strange noise...”
![]() |
| Photo credit unknown |
Brian: “Well, I kind of have to worry about it. There's a bike suspended from the ceiling and it's dangerously close to the bed. You know, the size of these New York studio apartments aren't really...”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘕𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘺 𝘚𝘱𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘴𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘵𝘦𝘭.”
Brian: “Yeah, that's it. Even in deathshe's still an imposition.”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘢𝘪𝘥 𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘈𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘢 𝘪𝘴 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘶𝘱 [𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘮𝘶𝘴𝘪𝘤] 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴. 𝘐𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘳𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘰 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘶𝘨𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘥𝘪𝘶𝘮𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘕𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘩 𝘈𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘢, 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳? 𝘋𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘈𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘢 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘳?”
Brian: “Well, neither really. I say this without any false modesty: I think it's really, really good for our egos. We really enjoy coming to the States, having to work and not resting on our laurels. I think for a band who have achieved a lot of success over ten years, it's good to have that. It keeps [us] hungry and it reminds [us] that there's always work to do and that you have to put an effort into it. We've got a really good work ethic anyway, but it can happen to anybody, to begin to get complacent. This stops it from happening and also keeps us on our toes and flexible, you know?”
𝘞𝘪𝘭: “𝘐 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘺. 𝘞𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘢𝘴 𝘣𝘪𝘨, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘦 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘓𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘰𝘯, 𝘸𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘈𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘢 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦, 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘹𝘵 𝘥𝘢𝘺, 𝘸𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘎𝘦𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘸𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦 100, 200 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦. 𝘈𝘵 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵, 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 “𝘖𝘩, 𝘧𝘶𝘤𝘬. 𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨?” 𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘱𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘬𝘦𝘦𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘦𝘨𝘰 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬 𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘤 𝘶𝘱.”
Brian: “Absolutely. It's a good thing because being in a band, it's very easy to let your ego run away with itself. The system keeps it in check.”
(Alternative Press, "Wil Francis & Brian Molko", June 2007)
Here's William's cover version, it was released on his first non-electronic album “Skeleton Strings”. I also added a William Control track, so you know how he usually sounds. Last but not least there's a song recorded at a live show .Check out Wil's cool micro tricks.
𝗪𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗠 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗥𝗢𝗟 – 𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗬 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗬 𝗠𝗘
🎵 https://bit.ly/2KIPxcm 🎵
𝗪𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗠 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗥𝗢𝗟 – 𝗔𝗡𝗔𝗟𝗢𝗚 𝗙𝗟𝗘𝗦𝗛 𝗜𝗡 𝗔 𝗗𝗜𝗚𝗜𝗧𝗔𝗟 𝗪𝗢𝗥𝗟𝗗
🎵 https://bit.ly/3hlwiED 🎵
𝗪𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗠 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗥𝗢𝗟 – 𝗕𝗘𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗜𝗙𝗨𝗟 𝗟𝗢𝗦𝗘𝗥
🎵 https://bit.ly/2TDr4v1 🎵
Post by Silke
🎵 https://bit.ly/2KIPxcm 🎵
𝗪𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗠 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗥𝗢𝗟 – 𝗔𝗡𝗔𝗟𝗢𝗚 𝗙𝗟𝗘𝗦𝗛 𝗜𝗡 𝗔 𝗗𝗜𝗚𝗜𝗧𝗔𝗟 𝗪𝗢𝗥𝗟𝗗
🎵 https://bit.ly/3hlwiED 🎵
𝗪𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗠 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗥𝗢𝗟 – 𝗕𝗘𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗜𝗙𝗨𝗟 𝗟𝗢𝗦𝗘𝗥
🎵 https://bit.ly/2TDr4v1 🎵
Post by Silke


