Tuesday, April 12, 2022

⭐️INTERVIEW: THE LAST WORD⭐️

Today I have another Brian’s INTERVIEW from the old magazine. This one is from 1997, and you will see how many things about Brian have diametrically changed since that time!! And that’s exactly what I want to pay your attention to – the change and the growth.
Enjoy reading!

Photo credit: Photo credit: Lili Wilde,  magazine photo:Scarlet Page / edit by Olga

THE LAST WORD


The ultimate questions on life, sex and Gary Glitter. This week, Placebo mainman Brian Molko gets somewhat sordid with Paul Brannigan…

Last time you were embarrassed?
“That would have been when I got thrown out of the girls’ toilets in a venue in Buffalo, New York. No, I can’t tell you what I was doing to get thrown out…”

Last time you wanted to hit someone?
“It was a fellow musician when we were taking part in a debate about ‘Yob Rock’ for another magazine. He was really attacking a guy from another band, being unnecessarily insulting, so I wanted to teach him some manners.”

Last time you were inside a church?
“For the christening of our drummer Steve’s baby. My Mum used to drag me to church every Sunday when I was younger, but I have no desire whatsoever to attend now.”

Photo credit: David Lefranc

Last time you were scared?
“When I almost got busted in Trafalgar Square whilst carrying class A drugs. I was psyching myself up for a search and a night in the cells, because I was completely wired when the two cops searched me.”

Last person you’d want to be trapped in a lift with?
“Gary Glitter. I recon he wouldn’t shut up and he’d be really irritating. Elevator lights are too bright like the lights in McDonald’s, and I think his suit would be too much for me to bear.”

Last band who really inspired you?
“Girls Against Boys. We’ve played with them last year and they’re amazing. I love then for their energy, their sexiness, their low-down crotch bass, their hip-orientated grooves, everything.”

Last sports event you attended?
“I went to my first ever, and possibly last ever, football match in Dundee on Boxing Day. I went with our manager Dave, who’s a Dundee United fan, because I was staying in Dundee with my Mum anyway. I froze my bollocks off, but it was an okay match.”

Photo credit: Julian Broad 

Last good film you saw?
“The new ‘Romeo And Juliet’ movie – it’s excellent. It’s set in modern times and it’s totally amazing with a cool, totally modern soundtrack. I’m really into films. On tour we play this game called Cinemaphobia, where you have to link different actors through the films they’ve been in with other people. Usually, any two actors can be linked via their co-stars within three films…’

Last time you gave money to charity?
“The last time I flew back from the States I stuck my change in the Unicef bag. I hardly ever think of giving money to charity. That’s shameful, isn’t it?”

Last time you were mistaken for a girl?
In a pub in Brixton. I got asked, ‘What do you want, love?’, so I said, ‘A pint of Stella’ in my gruffest possible voice. I get mistaken for a girl all the time. I was at a party once and this guy spent half an hour chatting me up before he realised I wasn’r a girl. He only copped on because I finally said, ‘My name’s Brian’ – and he laughed and said, ‘How can your name be Brian if you’re a girl?’. I think he was a little disappointed.”

Last time you cried?
“On my birthday I bawled my eyes out. It’s my party so I can cry if I want to! I freak out when I get very drunk. We call it ‘going to Super France’. You drink too much whisky, shout a lot and get energetic for a couple of hours, then at some point in the evening you have a complete freak-out, and burst into tears and end up lying in the road.”
(Unknown magazine, 1997)

Post by Olga