Wednesday, December 1, 2021

๐ŸŒŸ ๐Œ๐Ž๐‹๐Š๐Ž ๐„๐•๐Ž๐‹๐”๐“๐ˆ๐Ž๐ ๐ŸŒŸ

๐Ÿ”ธ Dear Soulmates, I'm sure you've already seen these caricatures of Brian, depicting him at different times in his career. Today I'm going to tell you the incredible story behind these fabulous drawings, the author of which is none other than a fan, ๐‘ซ๐’†́๐’๐’Š๐’‚, who had an exceptional experience in 2003, which I'm sure she still remembers today ! ๐Ÿ˜Š

She was interviewed and her adventure has been published in ๐ผ๐‘›๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘ก ๐‘€๐‘Ž๐‘” in 2005. ๐Ÿ”ธ



Dรฉlia is 19 years old and very talented. A talent that simply allowed her to meet the band, two years ago…

๐Ÿ“– I can't remember the exact day when this whole story started, that particular day when I met Mr L. I just remember that it was a nice day and that I had taken the opportunity to spend some time in Paris. I know an Ali Baba's cave there, a little treasure chest well hidden, in an alley around the rue Rivoli. It's there, in this record store, that I search and find most of the Placebo rarities that make up my collection. It's therefore out of habit that I pushed the heavy black door of the shop that day, without thinking about what awaited me inside... My curiosity pushed me to dive my hands in this indescribable mess which gives all its charm to the shop. I didn't suspect at this moment that the man leaning against the cash register and who seemed to know the salesman well was going to be the red thread of my whole story. As I approached the counter, in possession of my latest find, I saw him cast an interested eye: "๐‘Š๐‘’๐‘™๐‘™, ๐‘ƒ๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘’๐‘๐‘œ, ๐ผ ๐‘˜๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’๐‘š ๐‘ค๐‘’๐‘™๐‘™ !". I look at him astonished: "๐‘…๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™๐‘ฆ ? ๐ด๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘˜๐‘’ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’๐‘š ?". "๐‘Œ๐‘’๐‘ , ๐‘–๐‘ก'๐‘  ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ก ๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘‘, ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘ก ๐‘–๐‘ก'๐‘  ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘™๐‘ฆ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘ก ๐ผ โ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘ฃ๐‘’ ๐‘Ž ๐‘“๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘’๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘คโ„Ž๐‘œ โ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘”๐‘  ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘ก ๐‘ค๐‘–๐‘กโ„Ž ๐ต๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘Ž๐‘› ๐‘€๐‘œ๐‘™๐‘˜๐‘œ. ๐ป๐‘–๐‘  ๐‘›๐‘Ž๐‘š๐‘’ ๐‘–๐‘  ๐บ๐‘Ž๐‘ ๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘’́, ๐ผ ๐‘‘๐‘œ๐‘›'๐‘ก ๐‘˜๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค ๐‘–๐‘“ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘˜๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค โ„Ž๐‘–๐‘š ?". That's all, everything started from there, from this little bit of chance, from this unexpected sentence... We took the time to talk a bit, and I took the opportunity to show my work to him. I have always drawn and I am passionate about art in general. So I often take time to draw the band's members, as one would take time to listen to a record... It's just another way for me to 'sketch' them, to swallow their words like a placebo... The man was not very demonstrative but seemed convinced by the few reproductions he hold in his hand and offered to show them to Gaspar, who had to see Brian himself during the week. We exchanged our e-mail addresses, then our paths separated, Mr L. taking with him the precious contents of my old drawing bag.

Photo credit: Hamish Brown

A few days later, I received an email that made me shiver with happiness... He kept his promise"๐บ๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘‘ ๐‘’๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘›๐‘–๐‘›๐‘”, ๐‘—๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘ก ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘™๐‘’๐‘ก ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘˜๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘ก ๐บ๐‘Ž๐‘ ๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ โ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘-๐‘‘๐‘’๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ž๐‘ค๐‘–๐‘›๐‘”๐‘  ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐ต๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘Ž๐‘› ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘–๐‘  ๐‘Ž๐‘“๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ÿ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘› (๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘š๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘ก โ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘ฃ๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘’๐‘’๐‘› ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘›๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘‚๐‘ข๐‘– ๐น๐‘€...). ๐บ๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘‘ ๐‘™๐‘ข๐‘๐‘˜, ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘’ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ÿ. ๐ฟ.". That was on 8 September 2004. I never met him afterwards. So I decided that same day to go to the famous radio station where the members of the band were invited, hoping of course to bump into them and say a few words. Of course, I didn't come empty-handed, just to make sure that all this wasn't the product of my imagination... Once at the reception, I introduced myself to the person in charge of the band during the interview. My request seemed bold at first, as I asked for the few drawings I had brought with me to be sent to them. He took the time to look at them and then promised to do everything he could.. Another promise kept ! Everything was happening before my eyes, through the large windows of the building. I couldn't hear what they were saying to each other but the reaction of Brian, Steve and Stefan was amazing: discovering their caricatures, they all started laughing out loud and seemed to quickly notice that the content of the bag was identical to the one Gaspar gave them the same day. They had also just been told that the young cartoonist was present ! Scanning the few fans present, it wasn't hard for them to understand that it was me... Brian gave me a thumbs up and said: "๐‘†๐‘’๐‘’ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ÿ !" They too ended up keeping their word and I finally managed to exchange a few words with the three musicians as soon as they left the studio. Stefan made the effort to speak French, Steve says: "๐‘‚โ„Ž ๐‘–๐‘ก'๐‘  ๐‘”๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘ก !", while Brian was still trying to find his words, with his special little smile in the corner of his mouth. We were probably as intimidated as each other... "๐‘†๐‘œ ๐‘–๐‘ก'๐‘  ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข, ๐‘–๐‘  ๐‘–๐‘ก ? ๐ผ๐‘  ๐‘–๐‘ก ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘คโ„Ž๐‘œ ๐‘‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ž๐‘ค๐‘  ๐‘ข๐‘  ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘˜๐‘’ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘ก ? ๐‘Š๐‘’๐‘™๐‘™... ๐‘Š๐‘’'๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘”๐‘œ๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘’๐‘ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘–๐‘ , ๐‘’โ„Ž, ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘๐‘–๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘™๐‘ฆ. ๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘˜ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘š๐‘ข๐‘โ„Ž !". This is the most beautiful reward of all...

Photo credit: Stefan De Batselier

I would have liked to thank them for what they do, for who they are, but also for all the encounters I made thanks to them... But none of that came out... so I just made sure that Brian didn't take the caricatures of my drawing entitled 'Molko evolution' the wrong way. "๐‘๐‘œ ! ๐ท๐‘œ๐‘›'๐‘ก ๐‘ค๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ, ๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘ก๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘ค๐‘’ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘–๐‘›๐‘˜ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’๐‘ฆ'๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘’๐‘ฅ๐‘๐‘’๐‘™๐‘™๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ก, ๐‘ค๐‘’ โ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘‘ ๐‘Ž ๐‘™๐‘œ๐‘ก ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘“๐‘ข๐‘› ๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘’๐‘Ÿ !". That's it, that's all, it's short, but we had the opportunity to meet again later and it has always been with the same smile and the same class... A few days later, on my way home from school, a small black letter was waiting for me on the big table in the living room. It contains a Polaroid photo of Brian Molko sitting on a hotel sofa, holding up one of my drawings. And this message from Mr L.: "๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘–๐‘› ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘‘๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ! ๐‘ƒโ„Ž๐‘œ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘› ๐‘๐‘ฆ ๐บ๐‘Ž๐‘ ๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘’́ ๐‘Ž๐‘ก ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ ๐‘‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ž๐‘ค๐‘–๐‘›๐‘”๐‘ , ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข'๐‘™๐‘™ ๐‘๐‘’ ๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘™๐‘’ ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘–๐‘š๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ ๐‘  ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ ๐‘“๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘’๐‘›๐‘‘๐‘ ..." ๐Ÿ“•

(๐˜๐˜ฏ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ต ๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜จ - 2005)

๐Ÿ”ธ The only unfortunate thing is that the drawings of Steve and Stefan were never published. I'm sure they are just as good ! I also wonder if she went on drawing them until now. I'm curious how it must look like, don't you ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐‘ณ๐’†๐’•'๐’” ๐’”๐’˜๐’‚๐’๐’๐’๐’˜ ๐’˜๐’๐’“๐’…๐’” ๐’๐’Š๐’Œ๐’† ๐’‚ ๐’‘๐’๐’‚๐’„๐’†๐’ƒ๐’ ๐’•๐’๐’ˆ๐’†๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’“ ๐’˜๐’Š๐’•๐’‰ ๐‘ญ๐’๐’†๐’”๐’‰ ๐‘ด๐’†๐’„๐’‰๐’‚๐’๐’Š๐’„ ! ๐Ÿ’– ๐Ÿ”ธ
๐ŸŽฅ https://bit.ly/3ErkZ6u ๐ŸŽต

Photo credirs pic 1: ๐˜‹๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ด ๐˜ฃ๐˜บ ๐˜‹๐˜ฆ́๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ข, ๐˜œ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ๐˜ฏ (1996 ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ข), ๐˜ˆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜Ž๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ (1998 ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ข), ๐˜š๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต ๐˜—๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ฆ (2000 ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ข), ๐˜‘๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜˜๐˜ถ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ (2003 ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ข)
๐˜›๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ด๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฃ๐˜บ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ

Post by Laetitia