Friday, September 17, 2021

๐๐„๐– ๐๐‘๐ˆ๐€๐ ๐Œ๐Ž๐‹๐Š๐Ž ๐ˆ๐๐“๐„๐‘๐•๐ˆ๐„๐– ๐จ๐ง ๐๐๐‚ ๐‘๐š๐๐ข๐จ ๐Ÿ” ๐Œ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ข๐œ: ๐“๐‘๐€๐๐’๐‚๐‘๐ˆ๐๐“

As we promised you, we’re back with a full transcript of Brian’s interview that was aired yesterday, on September 16th, on ๐๐๐‚ ๐‘๐š๐๐ข๐จ ๐Ÿ” ๐Œ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ข๐œ before the worldwide premiere of Placebo's new single ๐‘ฉ๐’†๐’‚๐’–๐’•๐’Š๐’‡๐’–๐’ ๐‘ฑ๐’‚๐’Ž๐’†๐’”.
You can listen to the ๐ˆ๐๐“๐„๐‘๐•๐ˆ๐„๐– here:
๐Ÿ‘‰ https://bit.ly/3zdP7zb

Photo credit: Mads Perch

๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ญ ๐„๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ: Yeah, well, okay! So, we've got a world exclusive interview for you now. It’s the first interview with Brian Molko from Placebo about Placebo’s brand new music. Now there's a lot to say here but a lot more is about to be revealed. So in terms of Placebo… First of all, the last album Loud Like Love was back in 2013. The last release was the single Jesus’ son in 2016. But it's been a while and this wait has been hugely frustrating for the band's fans who are some of the most passionate of any fan base, many of whom have been following Brian and Stefan since their first single in ‘95 through 25 years and seven albums and some 13 million records sold. And there's been rumors of new music for a little bit, rumors that escalated somewhat as some possible tour dates for 2023 started to appear on social media, those conversations started. Then on September 13th, there was a post that Placebo posted saying simply ‘Beautiful James September the 17th’ accompanied by a photo of a billboard under a railway arch by city road at night. These spellboards all black with the words Beautiful James just upon it… And then, earlier today, Placebo tweeted the fact that there was going to be an interview with Brian on this very station which has prompted lots of twitter activity. It's been really lovely to see, to see those fans going ‘What is it?! What is it?! We want to hear from him! It's been so long!’
So, we can confirm that “Beautiful James” is a new single, Placebo's first single in five years. And maybe most excitingly, Steve Lamacq is going to have the world exclusive first play of the single today here on 6 Music, on his show after 4 pm today, brilliant exclusive to get from Steve! We're kind of assuming this is the opening sound from a new album but everything's kind of secret right now.
But yeah, so, to shine some light on this new music and also to talk about the process the band have engaged in to create the music, talk a bit about Beautiful James and also what he's been doing over the past year and a half, yesterday - just yesterday! - I spoke to man, Brian Molko himself, and here he is!

๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ญ ๐„๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ: ๐‘พ๐’‰๐’†๐’ ๐’˜๐’‚๐’” ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’๐’‚๐’”๐’• ๐’•๐’Š๐’Ž๐’† ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’…๐’Š๐’… ๐’‚๐’ ๐’Š๐’๐’•๐’†๐’“๐’—๐’Š๐’†๐’˜? ๐‘ฉ๐’†๐’„๐’‚๐’–๐’”๐’† ๐’Š๐’•'๐’” ๐’ƒ๐’†๐’†๐’ ๐’‚ ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’๐’† ๐’”๐’Š๐’๐’„๐’† ๐’˜๐’†'๐’—๐’† ๐’‰๐’†๐’‚๐’“๐’… ๐’‡๐’“๐’๐’Ž ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐‘ฐ ๐’ƒ๐’†๐’๐’Š๐’†๐’—๐’†…
๐Ÿ“ข ๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐Œ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐จ: It's got to be about three years, and one of the last ones I did was with you but I mean I'm sure I've done a handful, I did a handful after that but not very many. I'm nervous, I mean I think I've ever been nervous and now, after like this pause, um, I'm finding everything that I was used to being new and nerve-wracking to me. So it's… it's different, I don't know how I feel about it but it's different.

๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ญ ๐„๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ: ๐‘ฐ๐’” ๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’” ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’”๐’๐’“๐’• ๐’๐’‡ ๐’†๐’Ž๐’†๐’“๐’ˆ๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’‡๐’“๐’๐’Ž ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’ƒ๐’–๐’•๐’•๐’†๐’“๐’‡๐’๐’š ๐’„๐’๐’„๐’๐’๐’, ๐’‚ ๐’๐’Š๐’•๐’•๐’๐’† ๐’ƒ๐’Š๐’• ๐’”๐’†๐’๐’”๐’Š๐’•๐’Š๐’—๐’† ๐’•๐’ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’๐’Š๐’ˆ๐’‰๐’•?
๐Ÿ“ข ๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐Œ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐จ: I wish I'd done what Stefan did, which was go to the gym three times a week during lockdown to keep himself sane. I just went ‘Oh well, there are about… there's got to be at least 25 series of Doctor Who, I really need to reacquaint myself with every single episode!’ So that's kind of what I did! I watched every every episode of Doctor Who available.

๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ญ ๐„๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ: ๐‘ป๐’‰๐’‚๐’• ๐’˜๐’‚๐’” ๐’š๐’๐’–๐’“ ๐’Ž๐’‚๐’‹๐’๐’“ ๐’‚๐’„๐’‰๐’Š๐’†๐’—๐’†๐’Ž๐’†๐’๐’• ๐’๐’‡ ๐’๐’๐’„๐’Œ๐’…๐’๐’˜๐’, ๐’ƒ๐’“๐’Š๐’๐’๐’Š๐’‚๐’๐’•!
๐Ÿ“ข ๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐Œ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐จ: Yes! Yeah, you know, I can go on celebrity mastermind now, you know (laugh).

๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ญ ๐„๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ: ๐‘บ๐’, ๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’” ๐’๐’†๐’˜ ๐’•๐’“๐’‚๐’„๐’Œ - ๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘ฐ ๐’Ž๐’†๐’‚๐’, ๐’˜๐’‚๐’” ๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’” ๐’‘๐’๐’‚๐’๐’๐’†๐’… ๐’•๐’ ๐’ƒ๐’† ๐’‰๐’‚๐’‘๐’‘๐’†๐’๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’๐’Š๐’Œ๐’† ๐’ƒ๐’†๐’‡๐’๐’“๐’†? ๐‘ป๐’†๐’๐’ ๐’Ž๐’† ๐’‚ ๐’ƒ๐’Š๐’• ๐’‚๐’ƒ๐’๐’–๐’• ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’Œ๐’Š๐’๐’… ๐’๐’‡ ๐’•๐’Š๐’Ž๐’† ๐’”๐’„๐’‚๐’๐’† ๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐’‰๐’๐’˜ ๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ๐’” ๐’ˆ๐’๐’• ๐’”๐’‰๐’Š๐’‡๐’•๐’†๐’… ๐’‚๐’“๐’๐’–๐’๐’….
๐Ÿ“ข ๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐Œ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐จ: Well, in January-February 2020, we were basically ready to go on tour. The album was almost finished, and we spent 2019 in our home studio working on it, you know. We sort of decided already that Beautiful James would be the first single. So we had a lot of confidence and we had a lot of kind of ‘get up and go’. And then obviously, what happened, happened, and so everything's kind of delayed by about two years now.

Photo credit: Placeboworld

๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ญ ๐„๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ: ๐‘ป๐’‰๐’‚๐’•'๐’” ๐’‚ ๐’๐’๐’๐’ˆ ๐’•๐’Š๐’Ž๐’† ๐’•๐’ ๐’ƒ๐’† ๐’”๐’Š๐’•๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’๐’ ๐’”๐’๐’Ž๐’†๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ, ๐’Š๐’”๐’'๐’• ๐’Š๐’•?
๐Ÿ“ข ๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐Œ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐จ: It is, but it's better to… I felt like a penguin or something sitting on an egg, you know (laugh). I think it's better, it's better to have an egg to sit on, you know, than to not, you know. So, I think that maybe having that egg, you know, and knowing… However, frustrating it was, you know, like ‘oh another wait, oh another wait’ - as I know it was frustrating for the fans - but you know, it was equally – well, I don't know if equally but certainly very frustrating for us as well, kind of the interminable way to put out new music. But you know, at least it was there, so we knew we had it, yeah.

๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ญ ๐„๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ: ๐’€๐’๐’– ๐’‹๐’–๐’”๐’• ๐’”๐’‚๐’Š๐’…, ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’”๐’‚๐’Š๐’… ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’˜๐’๐’“๐’… ๐’„๐’๐’๐’‡๐’Š๐’…๐’†๐’๐’• ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’“๐’†… ๐‘พ๐’†๐’“๐’† ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’”๐’†๐’”๐’”๐’Š๐’๐’๐’” ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’๐’๐’š ๐’Š๐’๐’—๐’Š๐’ˆ๐’๐’“๐’‚๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ? ๐‘พ๐’†๐’“๐’† ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’‚๐’˜๐’‚๐’“๐’† ๐’•๐’‰๐’‚๐’• ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’˜๐’†๐’“๐’† ๐’…๐’๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’”๐’๐’Ž๐’†๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’•๐’‰๐’‚๐’• ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’˜๐’†๐’“๐’†, ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’Œ๐’๐’๐’˜, ๐’•๐’‰๐’‚๐’• ๐’˜๐’‚๐’” ๐’‡๐’–๐’๐’๐’š ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’๐’Š๐’›๐’†๐’… ๐’•๐’‰๐’‚๐’• ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’˜๐’†๐’“๐’† ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’๐’๐’š ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’๐’๐’š ๐’‰๐’‚๐’‘๐’‘๐’š ๐’˜๐’Š๐’•๐’‰?
๐Ÿ“ข ๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐Œ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐จ: Well, we don't make it easy on ourselves, um, I mean I have a… what I would describe as a boredom problem. Stefan has often said that he's never met anybody with a lower boredom threshold than myself. And not really kind of it influences and informs the way that we work. This time I came to Stefan with images first, ‘I want to do everything backwards so let's choose an album cover before we write any music!’

๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ญ ๐„๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ: ๐‘ป๐’‰๐’‚๐’•’๐’” ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’๐’๐’š ๐’Š๐’๐’•๐’†๐’“๐’†๐’”๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ!
๐Ÿ“ข ๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐Œ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐จ: ‘Here's a list of song titles which I've been writing over the past five years, let's start with these song titles instead of starting with the music, let's do everything backwards, let's do everything that we do last, first! Let's do this whole album without a drummer because there's been a drummer on every album so far. It's just me and you now in the studio - let's just do it me and you!’ In the end, we ended up using two drummers, you know, kind of thing (laugh). But… and of course, this kind of backwards way of working kind of floated away as the process started, but it very much informed this sort of break with the process and the way that you would normally approach everything. I just needed to do it backwards at the beginning just to kind of feel like I was doing something different.

๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ญ ๐„๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ: ๐‘ถ๐’Œ๐’‚๐’š, ๐’๐’†๐’•'๐’” ๐’•๐’‚๐’๐’Œ ๐’‚๐’ƒ๐’๐’–๐’• “๐‘ฉ๐’†๐’‚๐’–๐’•๐’Š๐’‡๐’–๐’ ๐‘ฑ๐’‚๐’Ž๐’†๐’”” ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’„๐’‰ ๐’˜๐’†'๐’“๐’† ๐’ˆ๐’๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’•๐’ ๐’‰๐’†๐’‚๐’“ ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’‡๐’Š๐’“๐’”๐’• ๐’•๐’Š๐’Ž๐’† ๐’๐’‚๐’•๐’†๐’“ ๐’•๐’๐’…๐’‚๐’š ๐’๐’ ๐‘บ๐’•๐’†๐’—๐’† ๐‘ณ๐’‚๐’Ž๐’‚๐’„๐’’'๐’” ๐’”๐’‰๐’๐’˜. ๐‘ป๐’†๐’๐’ ๐’Ž๐’† ๐’‚๐’ƒ๐’๐’–๐’• ๐’˜๐’‰๐’†๐’“๐’† ๐’…๐’Š๐’… ๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’” ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’„๐’๐’Ž๐’† ๐’‡๐’“๐’๐’Ž? ๐‘ป๐’†๐’๐’ ๐’Ž๐’† ๐’‚ ๐’ƒ๐’Š๐’• ๐’‚๐’ƒ๐’๐’–๐’• ๐’Š๐’•๐’” ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’๐’Š๐’›๐’‚๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’.
๐Ÿ“ข ๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐Œ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐จ: Well, like I said it was earlier when I was talking about presenting song titles to songs that hadn't been written, you know. I had this list of song titles and that was one of them, and for some reason it just kind of jumped out of the page at me and, you know, and it made itself known. But it kind of started during a period of major insomnia for me in 2019. I was having this kind of… I mean I have issues with sleep, and I can sort of go through periods where I, for a couple of months, I don't really get more than two or three hours sleep at night. And this was a particularly bad couple of weeks, but in my kind of stupor I was getting kind of… I don't know where from, but melodies and phrases were coming into my head. I was kind of delirious, you know, from lack of sleep and therefore connected to something which I didn't really know what it was, but these things were just coming into my head. And I remember having to sort of get out of bed like five, six times a night even though I wasn't sleeping and just go over to the piano and record a melody onto my phone. And one of those melodies was called “Bad Piano” because I'd recorded it at like 5 in the morning, you know, just to get the notes down. And so, for a long time “Beautiful James” was called ‘Bad Piano” because the initial, the main hook melody was written by me at 5 o'clock in the morning in the middle of a major bout of insomnia. And then, Stefan had to take it and make some sense out of it, and it became the keyboard riff, the main riff of “Beautiful James”. I really want each person who cares enough to listen to the record to find their own story. So, Beautiful James… I fully expect people to ask me all the time ‘Who is Beautiful James? Who is Beautiful James?’ Well, I don't know! Who's your favourite James? James Corden or James Brown - which one do you prefer? Or like, you know, who is James to you? and is James even a man? These are questions I'm not going to answer, these are questions I want people to ask themselves.

Your Placebo Anyway Team ๐Ÿ’–