Saturday, June 19, 2021

BIRTHDAY OF NICK DRAKE PLUS COVER VERSION

On June 19th, 1948, English folk rock singer-songwriter ๐‘ต๐’Š๐’„๐’Œ ๐‘ซ๐’“๐’‚๐’Œ๐’† was born. He would have turned 73 years old today.

 Credits: Nick Drake - Estate Of Keith Morris / Brian Molko - Unknown / Edit by Rita

๐Ÿ’ซ๐Ÿ”น๐€๐๐Ž๐”๐“ ๐๐ˆ๐‚๐Š ๐ƒ๐‘๐€๐Š๐„ ๐Ÿ”น๐Ÿ’ซ
๐‘ต๐’Š๐’„๐’‰๐’๐’๐’‚๐’” ๐‘น๐’๐’…๐’๐’†๐’š ๐‘ซ๐’“๐’‚๐’Œ๐’† was born in ๐‘น๐’‚๐’๐’ˆ๐’๐’๐’, ๐‘ฉ๐’–๐’“๐’Ž๐’‚. He was a talented young man who could play the guitar, piano, clarinet and saxophone. Influenced by artists such as ๐‘ฉ๐’๐’ƒ ๐‘ซ๐’š๐’๐’‚๐’, ๐‘ฑ๐’๐’”๐’‰ ๐‘พ๐’‰๐’Š๐’•๐’† and ๐‘ท๐’‰๐’Š๐’ ๐‘ถ๐’„๐’‰๐’”, at the age of twenty he recorded his first album "๐‘ญ๐’Š๐’—๐’† ๐‘ณ๐’†๐’‚๐’—๐’†๐’” ๐‘ณ๐’†๐’‡๐’•" (1969) after being signed to ๐‘ฐ๐’”๐’๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘น๐’†๐’„๐’๐’“๐’…๐’”. ๐‘ซ๐’“๐’‚๐’Œ๐’† recorded two more albums, "๐‘ฉ๐’“๐’š๐’•๐’†๐’“ ๐‘ณ๐’‚๐’š๐’•๐’†๐’“" (1970) and "๐‘ท๐’Š๐’๐’Œ ๐‘ด๐’๐’๐’" (1972), but each album was less successful than the last - perhaps in part because ๐‘ต๐’Š๐’„๐’Œ didn’t like to do live performances or interviews due to his introverted personality - and this caused him to fall into a deepening depression, which can be seen in the lyrics of his dark and melancholic songs. After finishing his third album, discouraged by his lack of success, he decided to retire from the world of music and went to live at his parents' house in ๐‘พ๐’‚๐’“๐’˜๐’Š๐’„๐’Œ๐’”๐’‰๐’Š๐’“๐’†, ๐‘ฌ๐’๐’ˆ๐’๐’‚๐’๐’…, where he grew up. In October 1974, ๐‘ซ๐’“๐’‚๐’Œ๐’† traveled to ๐‘ญ๐’“๐’‚๐’๐’„๐’† to contact singer and actress ๐‘ญ๐’“๐’‚๐’๐’„̧๐’๐’Š๐’”๐’† ๐‘ฏ๐’‚๐’“๐’…๐’š, who once considered recording an album of his songs. He spent the last years of his life struggling with insomnia and depression, for which he was even hospitalized. On November 25th, 1974, ๐‘ต๐’Š๐’„๐’Œ ๐‘ซ๐’“๐’‚๐’Œ๐’† died at the age of 26 at his parents' home from an overdose of amitriptyline, a type of antidepressant.

๐Ÿ“The case of ๐‘ต๐’Š๐’„๐’Œ ๐‘ซ๐’“๐’‚๐’Œ๐’† is like many other artists that during his life, his work was underrated, but over time he has gained recognition by the public, critics and even other musicians vindicate him, as ๐‘ฉ๐’“๐’Š๐’‚๐’ ๐‘ด๐’๐’๐’Œ๐’ who is fan of his music and that is why ๐‘ท๐’๐’‚๐’„๐’†๐’ƒ๐’ did a cover of "๐‘ฉ๐’†๐’†๐’ ๐‘บ๐’Ž๐’๐’Œ๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐‘ป๐’๐’ ๐‘ณ๐’๐’๐’ˆ"; a song originally written by ๐‘น๐’๐’ƒ๐’Š๐’ ๐‘ญ๐’“๐’†๐’…๐’†๐’“๐’Š๐’„ in late 1966 for his friend ๐‘ต๐’Š๐’„๐’Œ ๐‘ซ๐’“๐’‚๐’Œ๐’†, who put the melody with his guitar. This song was recorded in the apartment of one of his friends in early 1967 and it was first released on the compilation album "๐‘ป๐’Š๐’Ž๐’† ๐‘ถ๐’‡ ๐‘ต๐’ ๐‘น๐’†๐’‘๐’๐’š" in 1986.

๐Ÿ”น๐‘ท๐’๐’‚๐’„๐’†๐’ƒ๐’'s cover version was produced by ๐‘บ๐’•๐’†๐’‡๐’‚๐’ ๐‘ถ๐’๐’”๐’…๐’‚๐’, recorded at his place and released as a ๐‘ฉ-๐‘บ๐’Š๐’…๐’† on "๐‘ป๐’†๐’†๐’๐’‚๐’ˆ๐’† ๐‘จ๐’๐’ˆ๐’”๐’•" single in 1996.

Photo credit: Universal

๐Ÿ’ซ๐Ÿ”น๐๐„๐„๐ ๐’๐Œ๐Ž๐Š๐ˆ๐๐† ๐“๐Ž ๐‹๐Ž๐๐†๐Ÿ”น๐Ÿ’ซ
๐Ÿ”Š ๐‘ถ๐’“๐’Š๐’ˆ๐’Š๐’๐’‚๐’ ๐‘ฝ๐’†๐’“๐’”๐’Š๐’๐’ ๐’ƒ๐’š ๐‘ต๐’Š๐’„๐’Œ ๐‘ซ๐’“๐’‚๐’Œ๐’† ๐Ÿšฌ ๐ŸŽถ
https://youtu.be/0vzkB8fScIY
๐Ÿ”Š ๐‘ช๐’๐’—๐’†๐’“ ๐‘ฝ๐’†๐’“๐’”๐’Š๐’๐’ ๐’ƒ๐’š ๐‘ท๐’๐’‚๐’„๐’†๐’ƒ๐’ ๐Ÿšฌ ๐ŸŽถ
https://youtu.be/oLsXPnV3_Is


•♫•♬•๐ŸŽผ ๐‹๐ฒ๐ซ๐ข๐œ๐ฌ ๐ŸŽผ •♫•♬•

Wake up in the morning,
I look at my clock
It's way past noontime,
I'm late for work.
Tell me what have I done wrong?
Nothing can go right with me
It must be that I've been smoking
Too long

Go to fix me some breakfast,
I ain't got no food
Take me a shower,
The water don't feel no good.
Tell me what have I done wrong?
And nothing can go right with me
Must be that I've been smoking
Too long

I got opium in my chimney,
No other life to choose
Nightmares made of hash dreams,
The devil in my shoes.
What have I done wrong?
Yeah nothing can go right with me
It must be that I've been smoking
Too long

When I'm smoking, smoking,
Put my worries on a shelf
Try not to think about nothing,
Don't wanna see myself
What have I done wrong?
And nothing can go right with me
It must be that I've been smoking
Too long

In this blues I'm singing,
There's a lesson to be learned
If you go round smoking,
You're gonna get burned
Fuck me what have I done wrong?
Nothing can go right with me
Must be that I've been smoking
Too long
Too long.

Post by Rita