Thursday, July 16, 2020

STORY BEHIND A PICTURE: Brian receiving an Honorary Fellowship at Goldsmith


Dear soulmates!
I think all of you remember that Brian Molko studied Dramatic Arts and Theatre and graduated from Goldsmiths’ College in 1993 with a degree in drama. But do you also know that later he received an Honorary Fellowship at his alma mater?

Magnificent ceremony, following all the glorious traditions of University of London, took place on December 19, 2012 at Goldsmiths. Mr. Molko was one of five people were given honorary awards by the institution that year alongside Big Issue founder John Bird, novelist Rose Tremain, playwright and screenwriter Moira Buffini and primatologist Dame Jane Goodall.


Brian commented on his award: “I am extremely pleased to be offered an honorary fellowship from Goldsmiths. I have very fond memories of my years spent there, which helped shape me into the artist that I am today. I am particularly grateful for the freedom to take risks which the staff encouraged and for the ambition they nurtured in us – no matter how brazen or off-the-wall it appeared”.
(CMU Editorial, December 13, 2012)

Telling about the milestones of alumnus’ life and career, then Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Professor of English Alan Downie finished his introduction with touching “Welcome home, Brian!”
Nevertheless, Mr. Molko seemed to be really nervous and moved by the solemnity of the moment. He addressed his speech to the students: "I am very humbled to be here ... I'd like to congratulate you all for having the determination and the courage of your convictions and the singular vision that is necessary to come as far as you all have already and I wish you all the best."

You can watch the whole ceremony here:
https://bit.ly/2NztdRC

Brian is remembered by the faculty as a “quiet” but unusually creative young man. In the documentary “Placebo Androgyny” (also known as “The Sun Also Rises”) some of Brian’s teachers share their memories of him as a student.
https://bit.ly/2VsgwfN

However, choosing the only right direction in life hasn’t come at once.
"I'm the black sheep of the family," Brian admits. "I come from a long line of bankers, yet when I was 11, I really got into acting and drama.
(Belfast Telegraph, February 19, 2015)

The name of this track [Pierrot The Clown] reflects my obsession with clowns and my passion for the circus. In high school, I even thought of enrolling in a clown school and becoming one But fortunately for everyone, I was accepted at university! (Rock Mag, April 2006)

So, having previously studied at the European School of Luxembourg, and later the American International School of Luxembourg (AISL), Brian decided to pursue his dramatic dream at Goldsmiths College in London. He was accepted into university at 17, the first in his family to do so.
"By the time I left university, my passion had turned again," Brian says. "I decided that I wanted to form a band. So I spent two and a half years on the dole after I finished studying - which I call my artistic grant, and I've paid that back in taxes! - meeting Stefan Olsdal at South Kensington tube station along the way. It all happened from there."

Almost 20 years after graduating – and just in a several days he turned 40, by the way! - Brian was back to
Goldsmiths in a completely different status receiving his award and, more important, well-deserved respect and recognition.


GOLDSMITHS HISTORY

Goldsmiths, University of London is a public research university specializing in the arts, humanities, social sciences, computing, entrepreneurial business and management. It is a constituent college of the University of London. It’s situated in New Cross, a highly populated, vibrant area of South East London with a considerable art and music scene.

It was founded in 1891 by the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths as Goldsmiths' Technical and Recreative Institute (more commonly referred to simply as the "Goldsmiths' Institute"). The Goldsmiths' Company was established in the 12th century as a medieval guild for goldsmiths, silversmiths and jewellers.

In 1904, the Institute was acquired by the University of London and was renamed Goldsmiths' College. The word 'College' was dropped from its branding in 2006, but Goldsmiths' College, with the apostrophe, remains the institution's formal legal name.
Nowadays, Goldsmiths is internationally known for creativity and innovation - a reputation backed up by the highest academic standards. There are many world-renowned artists among its alumni. Goldsmiths has always had a reputation for independence and free thinking both as an institution and among its student body. The university cultivates an atmosphere that is encouraging and receptive to new ideas.

Dear soulmates, what do you think of a value of such an award for Brian? How does it feel for you to watch him in this quite uncommon situation?
Much love!
Yours, Olga

Photo credits: Goldsmiths - University of London, Alamy
Post by Olga