Sunday, June 28, 2020

STEFAN OLSDAL'S LOVE LETTER TO LGBTQ COMMUNITY


I want to share a “love letter to the LGBTQ community” written by Stefan. It was published in billboard.com on June 30th 2018 to celebrate Christopher Street Day (or Gay Pride) which is annual held on on June 28th.




STEFAN'S LETTER

Isolation was a big part of my adolescence. I was head over heels in love with my roommate at school, but I felt terrified to tell him or any of my friends for fear of not only rejection but also bigotry and aggression. The forbidden love I felt became burdened with secrets, lies and shame, and the pure love I felt was poisoned.

I have since recovered from my broken heart, and along the way I have found I have not been alone with my experiences. From my dad cracking homophobic jokes, to a bed and breakfast hotel refusing me and my boyfriend a room because we were two men, or having been at risk of jail when I first started having sex in the UK, the stories of homophobia are unfortunately endless.

But from feeling that being different is a weakness, a curse, and a disease, the LGBTQ community has empowered me to feel the exact opposite. I am perfect as I am and there is NOTHING wrong with the way that I am, or feel. What was my Achilles heel is now my armor. For this I owe it my life!
As long as human rights aren't given to everyone, there is work left to be done. I wear this glove which I designed with British Glover of the Year Gizelle Renee (proceeds on each pair of gloves sold will be evenly allocated between the Peter Tatchell Foundation and LGBT Foundation), with pride. We all deserve equal respect and the right to love without persecution no matter what. Whether it's through a hand held up high, a clenched fist or a loving touch, this glove serves the message that still needs to be heard!
Love and PRIDE,
Stefan Olsdal

Photo credit: Gizelle Renee

Post by Silke