Thursday, July 22, 2021

๐๐‘๐ˆ๐€๐ ๐Œ๐Ž๐‹๐Š๐Ž ๐Ž๐ ๐๐”๐ƒ๐ƒ๐‡๐ˆ๐’๐Œ & ๐’๐๐ˆ๐‘๐ˆ๐“๐”๐€๐‹๐ˆ๐“๐˜

Dear soulmates,
Today I’d like to talk to you about Brian’s deep interest in Eastern philosophy, generally, and Buddhism, in particular. Last Tuesday, I started the topic a little bit with Brian’s amazing version of the Beatles’ song ๐€๐œ๐ซ๐จ๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐”๐ง๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฌ๐ž that has some Buddhist reference in it. Now, I collected a couple of quotes to illustrate his way to accepting this kind of a world view from previously being raised as a born-again Christian by his mother.

 Photo credit: Miss Alex Invisible


๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: ''When I was a kid I was raised a born-again Christian. […] my Mum … was the person who got me into Jesus.''
(๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘๐‘˜ ๐‘†๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘›๐‘‘, 30 ๐ด๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘™ 2009)

๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: “I was raised a born-again Christian. I gave my life over to Jesus when I was 11; took it back when I was 14. But that stays with you for a long time.”
(๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘๐‘˜ ‘๐‘’ ๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘™๐‘™ ๐ด๐‘›๐‘–๐‘š๐‘Ž, “๐‘‡๐‘’๐‘™๐‘™ ๐‘Ž ๐‘‰๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘œ๐‘›”, ๐ด๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘™ 2001)

After a period of rebellion against his religious education, young Brian became more and more interested in spirituality and humanism rather that any kind of specific religion. However, Buddhist attitude to life, world and people got to be the most attractive and acceptable to him.
Brian took his first longer travel to India when he was on a pretty dark side in his life and desperately needed a cardinal change – just to survive… Staying there appeared to be very helpful for him.
๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: "I lived in India for four months at the end of our previous tour [Black Market Music tour]. [...] I have never seen people so kind and generous elsewhere than in Asia. The less you have and the more you give … What I like in Buddhism, in opposition to the Judeo-Christian religion, is that ... here, you are punished for your sins, while there, you are punished by your sins, it weighs on your karma. And it seems more realistic to me."
(๐‘ƒ๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘  ๐‘€๐‘Ž๐‘ก๐‘โ„Ž, 2006)

It was exactly the time when ๐’๐จ๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐š๐ฒ ๐†๐จ๐จ๐๐›๐ฒ๐ž was written.
๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: "The theme of “Song to say goodbye” is keeping only the best aspects of your life. It's the first track I wrote in India. I went there for a lot of reasons, one of them being to try and change my lifestyle. I wanted to make me understand that I should not become a rock'n'roll clichรฉ and that the world doesn't need another dead rock star. I've written it as a letter to myself."
(๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘๐‘˜ ๐‘€๐‘Ž๐‘”, ๐ด๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘™ 2006)

๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐Œ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐จ: I don’t like Western religion. I like Eastern religion very much.
๐‘ฐ๐’๐’•๐’†๐’“๐’†๐’”๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ. ๐‘จ๐’“๐’† ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’“๐’† ๐’‚๐’๐’š ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’”๐’๐’๐’” ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’•๐’‰๐’‚๐’•?
๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐Œ๐จ๐ฅ๐ค๐จ: I’m very attracted to Buddhism because it’s not about some bearded guy in the sky telling you what to do; it’s about you. And I think if we stopped to actually understand the effects that we have on the world, then we would make the world a better place. Unfortunately, as people we’re all very emotional and our culture is very important in terms of what we choose to believe.
I think so many people have ghetto-ised religion and made it into something that is bad, but in fact it’s something that helps us all be better people and that’s what we want.
(๐ฝ๐‘ข๐‘–๐‘๐‘’ "๐ผ๐‘›๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฃ๐‘–๐‘’๐‘ค ๐‘ค๐‘–๐‘กโ„Ž ๐ต๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘Ž๐‘› ๐‘€๐‘œ๐‘™๐‘˜๐‘œ", ๐‘€๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ๐‘โ„Ž 2010)

๐‘พ๐’†’๐’—๐’† ๐’‰๐’†๐’‚๐’“๐’… ๐’š๐’๐’–’๐’“๐’† ๐’‘๐’“๐’†๐’•๐’•๐’š ๐’Š๐’๐’•๐’†๐’“๐’†๐’”๐’•๐’†๐’… ๐’Š๐’ ๐‘จ๐’”๐’Š๐’‚๐’ ๐’“๐’†๐’๐’Š๐’ˆ๐’Š๐’๐’๐’”; ๐’„๐’‚๐’ ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’•๐’†๐’๐’ ๐’–๐’” ๐’‚๐’๐’š ๐’Ž๐’๐’“๐’† ๐’‚๐’ƒ๐’๐’–๐’• ๐’•๐’‰๐’‚๐’•?
๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: I’m interested in Buddhism because it is a philosophy of life rather than a religion. In Buddhism, there’s no god and that is a big part of the attraction for me. Right thoughts, right action. No god, no attachments - no worries.
(๐ต๐พ, ๐ด๐‘ข๐‘”๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘ก 22, 2013)

๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: “In my personal life, Buddhism influenced me positively. In 2012, I went to Thailand where I talked to Buddhists. I don’t belong to those who necessarily perceive Buddhism as a religion. But this philosophy and the art of meditation that I learned helped me a lot.”
(๐พ๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘’๐‘Ÿ, ๐‘†๐‘’๐‘๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘š๐‘๐‘’๐‘Ÿ 2013)

๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: Meditation is very important. I try to do it every morning. Meditation has a calming effect on me and helps me to ground myself. On days I don't meditate I am much moodier and have less patience. It is something I discovered in Thailand in 2011. When I was there for a few months, in the north, in the mountains, I started to love meditation.
๐‘ฏ๐’๐’˜ ๐’๐’๐’๐’ˆ ๐’‰๐’‚๐’—๐’† ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’”๐’•๐’‚๐’š๐’†๐’… ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’“๐’†?
๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: For two months. I wanted to learn how to meditate and to study Buddhism.
๐‘ซ๐’Š๐’… ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’… ๐’‚ ๐’๐’๐’• ๐’‚๐’ƒ๐’๐’–๐’• ๐’Š๐’•?
๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: Oh, yes. Very much indeed.
๐‘ญ๐’๐’“ ๐’†๐’™๐’‚๐’Ž๐’‘๐’๐’†?
๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: The Dalai Lama has written several very readable books which had a positive effect on me. The best-known and probably most successful is 'The art of happiness’.
(๐‘€๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ฅ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ ๐‘ , ๐‘‚๐‘๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘๐‘’๐‘Ÿ 2013)

Photo credit: Trip Fontaine

๐‘ฐ๐’” ๐’Š๐’• ๐’‘๐’๐’”๐’”๐’Š๐’ƒ๐’๐’† ๐’•๐’ ๐’”๐’‚๐’š ๐’•๐’‰๐’‚๐’• ๐‘ท๐’๐’‚๐’„๐’†๐’ƒ๐’ ๐’Š๐’” ๐’Ž๐’๐’“๐’† ๐’–๐’‘-๐’•๐’-๐’…๐’‚๐’•๐’† ๐’˜๐’Š๐’•๐’‰ ๐‘ณ๐’๐’–๐’… ๐‘ณ๐’Š๐’Œ๐’† ๐‘ณ๐’๐’—๐’†?
๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: For one hundred percents. Especially me, I see the reason in my enthusiasm for Eastern culture. For Buddhism, for meditations, or for the written work of German philosopher and spiritual person Eckhart Tolle, who wrote an amazing book called The Power of Now. Also, nowadays I live an incomparably healthier life than I did in my times."
(๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘๐‘˜ & ๐‘ƒ๐‘œ๐‘ ๐ถ๐‘ง๐‘’๐‘โ„Ž ๐‘…๐‘’๐‘๐‘ข๐‘๐‘™๐‘–๐‘, ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘š๐‘๐‘’๐‘Ÿ 2013)

When it comes to the visible attributes, we all remember Brian wearing his ๐‘ป๐’Š๐’ƒ๐’†๐’•๐’‚๐’ ๐‘ฉ๐’–๐’…๐’…๐’‰๐’Š๐’”๐’• ๐’”๐’•๐’“๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’ƒ๐’“๐’‚๐’„๐’†๐’๐’†๐’•๐’” which have special meanings depending on colour.
There were quite a few moments in Placebo’s career connected to Buddhism in some way.
In 2008, there was an absolutely significant concert at ๐‘จ๐’๐’ˆ๐’Œ๐’๐’“ ๐‘พ๐’‚๐’•, a 12th-century Buddhist temple, aimed to raise awareness about human trafficking.
๐๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง: “We thought it was one of the most important things we could do with our careers.”
(๐‘๐‘€๐ธ ๐ต๐‘™๐‘œ๐‘”, 23๐‘Ÿ๐‘‘ ๐‘‚๐‘๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘๐‘’๐‘Ÿ 2009)

In 2013, Placebo played a ๐’„๐’‰๐’‚๐’“๐’Š๐’•๐’š ๐’„๐’๐’๐’„๐’†๐’“๐’• ๐’Š๐’ ๐‘ณ๐’†๐’†๐’…๐’” to help ๐‘ป๐’‰๐’† ๐‘ด๐’†๐’“๐’„๐’š ๐‘ช๐’†๐’๐’•๐’†๐’“ ๐’Š๐’ ๐‘ฉ๐’‚๐’๐’ˆ๐’Œ๐’๐’Œ and ๐‘บ๐’‚๐’Ž๐’š๐’† ๐‘ณ๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐‘ป๐’Š๐’ƒ๐’†๐’•๐’‚๐’ ๐‘ฉ๐’–๐’…๐’…๐’‰๐’Š๐’”๐’• ๐‘ช๐’†๐’๐’•๐’†๐’“ ๐’Š๐’ ๐‘บ๐’„๐’๐’•๐’๐’‚๐’๐’…. Before the show started, Brian personally greeted the audience with a beautiful explanation of what ๐๐€๐Œ๐€๐’๐“๐„ means.
๐Ÿ‘‰ https://bit.ly/36Hk6I0

An impressive story of founding the monastery was told by one of the monks invited by Brian.
๐Ÿ‘‰  https://bit.ly/3rcnzIf

In 2016, one of the concerts of the ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ ๐’€๐’†๐’‚๐’“๐’” ๐’๐’‡ ๐‘ท๐’๐’‚๐’„๐’†๐’ƒ๐’ ๐‘ป๐’๐’–๐’“ at Forum di Assago in Milan was opened with a ๐’ˆ๐’๐’๐’ˆ ๐’ƒ๐’‚๐’•๐’‰ instead of a support band show. Such a special performance was done by ๐‘พ๐’‚๐’๐’•๐’†๐’“ ๐’๐’‚๐’๐’„๐’‚, a friend of Brian and a founder of the project Alma Matters which deals with Tibetan healing practice and meditation. You can read more about this concert in one of my older posts:
๐Ÿ‘‰ https://bit.ly/3xL4P52

Over the years, Brian used to share inspiring Buddhist statements and pictures on ๐‘ท๐’๐’‚๐’„๐’†๐’ƒ๐’๐’˜๐’๐’“๐’๐’… ๐‘ฐ๐’๐’”๐’•๐’‚๐’ˆ๐’“๐’‚๐’Ž ๐’‚๐’„๐’„๐’๐’–๐’๐’• like this one, the Buddha statue posted on June 2nd, 2018.
 ๐Ÿ‘‰ https://bit.ly/3xNZERY

Many of you may remember that recently, Brian asked us, Placebo fans, to help protect aforementioned monastery ๐‘บ๐’‚๐’Ž๐’š๐’† ๐‘ณ๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ, a wonderful spiritual place that means a lot to him. The peaceful valley was supposed to be used for target practice by the US Army special forces… Then, Brian also told us a moving story of his friend and teacher, Lama Yeshe, the abbot at Samye Ling.
 ๐Ÿ‘‰ https://bit.ly/3z5kSe4

Happily, spreading the word worked out! The military backed down on their plans of using the area. “๐‘ฐ ๐‘จ๐‘ด ๐‘ท๐‘ฌ๐‘น๐‘บ๐‘ถ๐‘ต๐‘จ๐‘ณ๐‘ณ๐’€ ๐‘ฌ๐‘ฟ๐‘ป๐‘น๐‘ฌ๐‘ด๐‘ฌ๐‘ณ๐’€ ๐‘ฎ๐‘น๐‘จ๐‘ป๐‘ฌ๐‘ญ๐‘ผ๐‘ณ”, wrote Brian in his full of love message#
 ๐Ÿ‘‰ https://bit.ly/2UK52GZ

How could I finish my today’s post?.. I just genuinely hope that all the power and wisdom of Buddhist philosophy can help Brian enough to keep the peace of mind he’s been always longing for… ๐Ÿ’

Post by Olga