Thursday, June 10, 2021

𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐈𝐄𝐖 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐍 𝐌𝐎𝐋𝐊𝐎 in 𝑴𝑨𝑿𝑰𝑴 magazine, 2006

Dear soulmates!
Today, I have an 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐈𝐄𝐖 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐍 𝐌𝐎𝐋𝐊𝐎 which I translated for you from Russian. It was published in 𝑴𝑨𝑿𝑰𝑴 magazine in 2006, just before the release of the album 𝐌𝐞𝐝𝐬.
Enjoy reading and let me know what answers you like most! 

Photo  credit unknown

We’re always ready to hang out with Placebo frontman Brian Molko for no reason. What to say about those rare cases when your favorite band is about to release a new album!

𝑹𝒆𝒄𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒍𝒚, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒔𝒉 𝒎𝒂𝒈𝒂𝒛𝒊𝒏𝒆 "𝑲𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈!" 𝒏𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒅 𝑷𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆𝒃𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒓𝒐𝒄𝒌 𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒄𝒂𝒅𝒆. 𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒔 𝒔𝒊𝒎𝒑𝒍𝒚 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒄𝒆 𝒖𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒔𝒌: 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒔𝒐𝒐𝒏 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒆𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒔𝒊𝒄𝒌 𝒐𝒇 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒂 𝒓𝒐𝒄𝒌 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓, 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒈𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒂 𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒆𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒉𝒖𝒕?
Come on, during ten years I’ve just got a full taste of it! We finally achieved some kind of mastery and began to enjoy our own concerts. Before, I often sang almost without regaining consciousness. Now, the alcoholic intoxication on stage is over: I try to give the audience the best I can and get the same back. We’ve grown up, and although we still love to dress up in a specific way and put on make-up, now you won’t see me running around the stage in a designer dress.

𝑻𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒖𝒔 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒈𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒍 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒂𝒍𝒃𝒖𝒎 "𝑴𝒆𝒅𝒔".
I wanted to get back to the raw emotionality of the first Placebo album and its pure heavy guitar sound. Also, the time has come to destroy our reputation of a highly intellectual band: tired of confirming.

𝑰𝒏 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒈𝒔, 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝒒𝒖𝒐𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒍𝒆𝒔' 𝑴𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝑵𝒂𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝑺𝒐𝒏, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓, 𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒅𝒆𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒑𝒊𝒆𝒄𝒆 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝑳𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒂𝒓𝒅 𝑪𝒐𝒉𝒆𝒏.
Yes, in the song "In The Cold Light of Morning". Since I was a kid, I was a massive fan of Cohen. Distorted country guitar that will be heard on our new album is also something from him.

𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂𝒏 𝒊𝒎𝒂𝒈𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒈𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒄 𝒎𝒆𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒚 𝒂𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖. 𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒃𝒖𝒎?
I think Follow The Cops Back Home. In short, this is a song about booze. The character of this song gets insanely drunk, and the worst of ideas is born in his head: to follow the cops driving home from work and try to rob their houses.

Photo credit unknown

𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕 𝒎𝒐𝒗𝒊𝒆. 𝑾𝒂𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒐𝒇𝒇𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝑯𝒐𝒍𝒍𝒚𝒘𝒐𝒐𝒅?
For a long time, we wanted to record something similar to what Air did for the film "The Virgin Suicides", that’s it, a full soundtrack which could be later released as a separate album. But unfortunately, we haven’t yet found a suitable film. We already have a lot of instrumental tracks which we don’t release waiting for "our" film.

𝒀𝒐𝒖'𝒗𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒚 𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒎𝒐𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒔, 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒆𝒅 𝒂 𝒓𝒐𝒄𝒌 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒍𝒂𝒎 𝒎𝒖𝒔𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒍 𝑽𝒆𝒍𝒗𝒆𝒕 𝑮𝒐𝒍𝒅𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒆. 𝑨𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈?
I don’t know. So far, what is offered doesn’t suit me. And I'm somehow afraid to embark on this adventure again. Even Bowie had failures: along with The Man Who Fell to Earth, he had films like Labyrinth. I really want to act. But if they finally offer something worthy, I would have to go back to drama school for some crash course in acting, because I would have forgotten everything.

𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒆𝒔 𝒅𝒐 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒉𝒚 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝑩𝒓𝒊𝒂𝒏 𝑴𝒐𝒍𝒌𝒐?
I don’t want to be a faded copy of myself, so I don’t even go through scripts about rock stars. About vampires too - thanks, but I will not drink your blood! But if you buy my album ... (Laughs.)

𝑨𝒕 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒑𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒕 𝒅𝒐 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒂 𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒚𝒐𝒖’𝒗𝒆 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒘𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒏 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒂 𝒉𝒊𝒕?
If the song works with one instrument and vocals only then you understand that this is a really strong thing. If you record a song composed six years ago and you still like it, that's also a good sign. "Pierrot The Clown" from the new album is just such a case.

Photo credit: Scarlet Page

𝑹𝒐𝒄𝒌 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒘𝒏 - 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒔𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒇𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔?
Very close. As a child, I adored the circus: I was fascinated by clowns. But I have always associated myself not with a cheerful redhead but with a sad clown. I even decided that if I was not admitted to college for drama department I would go to a circus school to become a clown. I had to go to the same school as Steve-O from "Jackass"! My life would most likely have turned out in a bit different way but I would still be good. By the way, I still know how to juggle and perform magic tricks.

𝑴𝒐𝒍𝒌𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒘𝒏 𝒊𝒔 𝒐𝒏 𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒂! 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒖𝒑 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒚𝒐𝒖. 𝑾𝒉𝒚 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 (𝒏𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒐𝒄𝒌 𝒊𝒅𝒐𝒍𝒔 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒐𝒏) 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒄𝒓𝒖𝒊𝒕 𝒂 𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒈𝒊𝒓𝒍𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒖𝒓? 𝑨𝒕 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒕, 𝒏𝒐 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒐𝒇 𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒖𝒎𝒆𝒔.
Yes, touring with a girl band would be fun. But we have girls in our crew: a guitar technician and a make-up artist. They tour with us and of course, beautify our road life. But I like your idea, I will seriously think of it for the next tour.

𝑯𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒂 𝒍𝒂𝒓𝒈𝒆 𝒏𝒖𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒈𝒊𝒓𝒍𝒔 𝒅𝒐𝒆𝒔𝒏’𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒈𝒖𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒆 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒇𝒖𝒏. 𝑾𝒆'𝒗𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒂𝒈𝒐, 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒉𝒐𝒕, 𝒚𝒐𝒖’𝒗𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒏 𝒖𝒑 𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒑𝒊𝒄𝒆 𝑮𝒊𝒓𝒍𝒔 𝒈𝒊𝒈.
Someone really beat me, but I don't remember exactly why. I think I insulted some girl, and her husband happened to stand next to me. He just lifted me up and threw me across the room, and I think I landed on the table where Trickey was drinking. So, I wasn't very popular that evening. Good story, nice to remember. Don't ask me what I’ve been doing at the Spice Girls party though.

𝑾𝒂𝒔 𝒊𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒓𝒐𝒄𝒌 '𝒏' 𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒍 𝒆𝒑𝒊𝒔𝒐𝒅𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒐𝒓 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒔?
Well, we flew a private U2 jet for the entire tour when we opened up for them. We came on the stage of the largest rock festivals of the world by helicopter. Once – well, you have to do that at least once in your life! - I broke the TV in the hotel room and was almost taken to jail for that. It was in Monaco. Enough of rock 'n' roll for you? I have some stories to tell my grandkids, no worries!
(𝑀𝑎𝑥𝑖𝑚, 2006)

▪️𝑇𝑟𝑎𝑛𝑠𝑙𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑑 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑅𝑢𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑎𝑛 𝑏𝑦 𝑂𝑙𝑔𝑎 𝐵𝑢𝑟𝑙𝑎𝑘𝑎 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑃𝑙𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑏𝑜 𝐴𝑛𝑦𝑤𝑎𝑦

Post by Olga