Saturday, June 9, 2018

"LITTLE WORKS IN MANY CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THE BEST" - Interview with Fiona Brice 2018



An interview by Anastasia Loginova

Anastasiya Loginova: Hi Fiona, how are you? I'm very happy that you've been joined Patreon! How did you know about it? What do you think about this platform comparing with other crowdfunding platforms? 

Fiona Brice: I discovered Patreonvia Amanda Palmer, who has been a long-term advocate of crowdfunding initiatives. I respect her as an artist. I like the fact that you can roll monthly on your page, without having to hit a specific target or timeline. As someone who enjoys writing music, I'm also in the habit of doing my work. It is an experiment, but hopefully people will enjoy the very personal nature of the content I am sharing. I am not just sharing music, but diary content and photographs from my life as well. If you were a patron, you would get to know a lot of things. It is an artistic community and I hope it will grow.

Anastasiya Loginova: You've already been given me an excellent answer about women in the music industry, and I agree with you. Some people think that there could be a difference between men's and women's behavior at the workplace. What's your opinion? 

Sometimes people can be discriminated against because of different situations in a personal or professional life. My several girlfriends and even I was incidentally cried in the work environment for various reasons. There were different reactions (negative as well), some girls felt themselves ashamed. Do you agree and it's not a shameful situation? 

Fiona Brice:You ask about possible differences in behaviour between men and women in the workplace. In life in general, some people express their emotions easily, while other people hide their frustrations or feelings. I think it really depends on the field, you are expected to behave in a professional, respectful way. In the arts, it is a lot more common to see people bursting into tears on the regular basis (both men and women), because creatives . However, it does not make you acceptable. Nor is it acceptable to tease someone for an emotional response to a situation.

So, you should never feel ashamed for finding yourself in the work environment, whether male or female, because life is challenging, but if you can quietly explain to a sympathetic colleague that you need a few minutes able to take a walk to recompose yourself. This is not hiding your feelings; it is just dealing with the situation in a practical, non-dramatic way. Personally, I have even cried on stage because I was in agony with the period pain and a migraine! It happens. BE kind to yourself, and carry on with the show. 

Anastasiya Loginova: What do you think about the situation in the music industry now? Is this field is more male-dominated than female or not? Has it changed during the time? 

Fiona Brice:The music industry ... to be honest, I am less concerned with gender equality and more concerned with how little people are being paid for their art right now. The control of the industry is being dominated by global corporations like Spotify and Apple, who are making money from music, but it is not the musicians who are getting paid. With the exception of a few high profile. In particular, classical musicians in London are having a really tough time because they are highly qualified, they get paid very little compared to the cost of living, and I am sure it is the same in other capital cities. 

Anastasiya Loginova:You've already told me that your first show with Placebo was the 'Live at Angor Wat'. The band's aim was to inform people about the problem of human trafficking. I was impressed so much by the documentary film and the story from the band. Can you tell me about your impressions as a musician at the live show and a human being who visited this place? 

Fiona Brice:The Angkor Wat MTV Exit gig was a unique occasion and it was a wonderful gig that I always remember, but human trafficking is an abhorrent trade, it is modern day slavery which affects women in particular, and it disgusts world. We stayed in Siem Reap and I took time to walk around the streets, where behind the tourist shops there is a lot of poverty. There were huge queues for vaccinations and medical care outside the hospital. There were many people begging in the street and there was a lot of litter. You do not witness this if you stay in the hotel, and it is important to me. (I actually took a lot of photos on that trip, but sadly they got deleted from my hard drive somehow, which is really a shame).

Staging a massive concert, with all the expenses involved, does not always seem to be the most efficient way to raise money, but what it really does is raise awareness. Actually the MTV Exit campaign is now the 'Staying Alive' Foundation , raising awareness to prevent the spread of HIV.


Anastasiya Loginova: In some interviews and in the 'Placebo: Alt.Russia' film Brian and Stefan talked about the art boycotts when musicians do not give live shows in certain countries due to political reasons. Do you think that artists have a right and a choice to give or not a gig in a certain place? Or it's like building boundaries between musicians and fans? 

Fiona Brice:As I have not got to know the solo artist (yet!) I have not had to make the difficult decisions about where to play and where not to play. Placebo's attitude was "if there's an audience that wants to hear us, we'll play for them" and I broadly agree with this. If you refused a gig in every country in the world where you did not agree with the ruling regime's politics, you would be on a very short tour! But if there are certain issues that affect you personally, you have to consider this. For example, I know many gay people who think twice about doing in LGBT + community and say "I support you". Personally I was uncertain about performing in Jakarta, Indonesia, because I had to cover my arms and change the way I dressed, and in some countries you have to submit lyrics for. Again, it is up to the artist to decide to what extent this is censorship, and to what extent this is simply being respectful of other cultures.

Anastasiya Loginova: Placebo had a massive celebration of the 20th band's anniversary. Also there was a special charity auction in support of such organizations as CALM and The Mercy Center, Bangkok. "Do you agree that these organizations work? 

Fiona Brice: I think CALM and the Mercy Center in Bangkok are doing vitally important work and I respect Brian and Stefan for giving their time and money to assist these charities as much as they do. It raises awareness for these charities and makes us stop and think of others for a moment. Personally I have been supporting Women for Women International, a charity supporting female survivors of war, war crimes and violence. The charity enables you to "sponsor a sister" and contribute to an individual woman's education and that she has enough knowledge and some funds to be able to control her future and to learn trade. I started doing this after British politician Jo Cox was murdered in the street in the UK. She was a woman who was passionate about supporting women in developing countries. When she was killed I felt angry that she was strong political leader had been taken carelessly from us, so I decided that I would do something to encourage women in the world to be strong and independent. It's a small thing, but small things make a big difference. 

Photos: Instagram @ fionabrice, @placeboworld.

Sources