Wednesday, March 23, 2016

BBC 6 Interview with Brian Molko 18th March 2016





Interview with Chris Hawkins on BBC 6, 18th March 2016

Thank you to Laura Meneghetti for this great job to write down the interview!



Chris. And it’s Chris Hawkins, good afternoon,  Infra-red met this afternoon here on 6 Music and I’m delighted to welcome our guest this afternoon to the show. Now: 20 years since the release of Placebo’s debut album: good afternoon Brian Molko! 
Brian. Hi Chris!
C. How are you doing?
B.I was perfectly fine and then I heard the news and now I’m a little bit depressed! Uhuhuh
C. Do you avoid the news when you can?
 B. Well... I used to be a news junkie but I found that it just made me..angry...and I was being really affected by it, so I thought I tried an experiment and cut the news out of my life and subsequently I’ve noticed that I’ve been happier!
C. How long has that experiment been going on for, then?
B. oh, a couple of years now...
C. And you go on successfully in your mission?
B. I do scan the front page of The Guardian online, probably, Y’know ..and that’s about  it, really. I use it more for the culture section.
C. I think you’re living in a better world as a result!
B. Ahahah
C. Right in from of me I’ve got a pile of your vinyl here, it’s beautiful, every Placebo has been reissued to celebrate the Twenty years anniversary of the band. We should start at the beginning, and, in fact, to the period before your first record came out, and how you came you go to school to Luxembourg? Why?
B. Because my father had a job there!
C. As simple as that?!
B. Yeah!
C.When did the band start to take shake? I think it was a couple of years before the record, wasn’t it?
B. Yeah, it was in 1994..Uhm...I can’t remember the exact day but I bumped into an old schoolmate who wasn’t actually a friend of mine at school, but I recognized him, in a tube station and he had a guitar strapped to his back. I called out his name and it was Stefan Olsdal, my partner in the band and we didn’t know at the time but it was the day that our lives changed forever.
C. Yeah, absolutely, your life...Do you think this was what you were always meant  to do?
B.Probably..Uhm... Well, I was very interested in the dramatic arts, Y’know, since I was a young child and I came to London at 17 to study that at university but by the time I graduated ..I went... I had a sort of epiphany, I just sort of went, Y’know, “Man! All I wanna do is play in a band!” so I decided to do everything I could to not get a job until I got a record deal and two and a half years later of living on the dole which I consider my artistic grant which I have paid back many times over in taxes, yup...I don’t know if it’s manifest destiny or it was my fate or whatever...We got a record deal and off we went. But our career in the music scene happened...was already happening in 1995, early 1996, we were already touring...Uhm...And, for example, opening for the dearly departed David Bowie, for example, before we’d released our first album.
C. Yeah..How did that happen, Brian?
B. Well...It’s all down to Morrissey. I got Morrissey to thank for that!

C. Uhm..Ok...Explain
B. Well, Morrissey was opening for David Bowie...Uhm...and one day he decided that he wanted to go home and see his mum, so he got on the tour bus, told the driver to drive to his mum’s house and left all his band behind and left Bowie without a support act and recently we had the same agent at that time and he had played him our demo tape and Bowie liked the song Nancy Boy and he told his agent “What about those Nancy Boys? Those Nancy Boys over there. They do it!”. And we jumped at the chance. We learnt a great deal. We went from playing a couple of hundred people to play arenas... Y’know...Before we even released our first album...He was very much a mentor and  offered this tremendous opportunity very early on.
C. What was your relationship with him like?
B. Well.. Y’know... we hung out, we spent time with each other, he always had time for me...Uhm..Y’know... once you get over...Once I got over the initial state of being star-struck, he was very good at making you comfortable around him...and Y’know... Just sit around and have a chat and I just tried to glean  as much wisdom by osmosis from him.
C. What do you think you did learn from him?
B. Well..Y’know... I learnt...He was a very early champion of technology...Uhm...so I learned not to be afraid of that, he was a great reader. He advised me to how I was to make sure I had plenty of books with me on tour......and...



c. What about in terms of performance?
B. Well.. I got to watch him every night..Y’know... and it was truly magnificent. There were times when, literally, I would sincerely break down into tears. On one tour he was doing a cover of Laurie Anderson’s “O Superman” and playing the saxophone and..yeah..that would usually reduce me to tears...Uhm... and he do out-of-the-box things with his performances and he’s very famous for it. When we were on tour then, he had people side stage translating the lyrics into sign language, for example...So yeah... Never a dull moment...
C. A true inspiration, of course. What would you remember then..That was around the time your first album coming out. What do you remember about that time, 1996, other than being David Bowie, who probably overshadowed most of the rest of your life of that time...
B. I just remember a kind...a sense of naivetรฉ mixed with bravado and supreme confidence, Y’know. But also this kind of feeling that, Y’know, that we sort of tricked somebody into giving us a record deal and we were gonna get found out any minute but looks like we never did, so...
C. Still not been found, are you?! You’ve inspired stories about the Mid-nineties on the show here and of course this was the time of feel-good of guitar of Brit Pop, but  you were something a bit different, weren’t you?

B. We stuck out like a sore thumb!
C. I was trying  to be polite, to put it mildly...
B. Which was great!I mean, I supposed we garnered a lot of attention as a consequence of that but..yeah... I mean.. we were..very... the polar opposite, end-of-spectrum to the kind of laddishness  and football-cheering kind of feel of Brit Pop. We were doing a lot of cross-dressing at the time and I became very much a political statement for us and so..yeah... we were very different and...
C. Did you like any of the Brit Pop sounds that you were hearing?
B. Not really, to be honest! Uhm... It’s a ...But... In all Blur-versus-Oasis thing I was always  definitely on Blur side...If I had to choose a side...Uhm...

C. You’ve picked a track for me to play now, we’ll talk some more in a few moments,  you’ve picked for me Pure Morning, which is a great favour. Why would you go for this one in particular, Brian?
B. Wel..uhm...Because it’s probably gonna be the second time I’ve heard it in about seven or eight years...Uhm.. And we’re doing a tour, in the Uk, this winter, this December, and we’re gonna be playing a lot of...well...let me put it this way: we’re quite well-known for not playing our more commercially successful materials of which Pure Morning and Nancy Boy are, Y’know, two examples. And because it’s our 20-year anniversary we’re going out with, Y’know, the modus operandi of just basically pleasing the fans and kind of giving them what they want... So we’re gonna be playing songs that we basically swore we never we’re gonna play again.
C.Is that because you take you’re growing not to like the two in particular image?
B. Well, in Pure Morning’s case I like the music but I don’t really like the lyrics. I think I could have done better...Uhm...And Nancy Boy...It just... For me, now I guess, I feel I sort of got out of it...out of that sentiment, that hedonistic abandon that Nancy Boy is about. I find it a little embarrassing... Really...well..But it’s gonna be fresh for us, because we haven’t played this song so long and the fans are helper ...are gonna love it...

Picture by Rox


PURE MORNING
C. Brian Molko is my guest this afternoon. Brian, let’s get your immediate reaction to hearing that for the first time, you think,  in a good few years, Pure Morning, how did that feel?
B. It felt pretty good...Uhm...It’s... I was a little bit surprised by how modern it sounds...I mean, it’s 18 years old.
C. That’s incredible. That could be released now and sound current...
B. Yeah...that’s encouraging!
C. The reactions to it this afternoon! My computer is gonna melt up!  “Nancy Boy, Pure morning – says Robe here -  for any misunderstood alternative kid growing up in the mid 90s”... I guess Brian that was something of the point
B. Well...I mean those are the people we identified with because those are the people that we were...uhm... as  adolescents. So..I think we ended up being a band, Y’know, the band for outsiders by outsiders.
C. Max here says “loving hearing Brian Molko this afternoon!”; Kevin “He’s saying a lot of interesting things. I didn’t know about their starts so thank you for sharing this, Brian”. Here’s Ken who says “ Placebo have been a constant in my life since their first release. There are very few bands who you feel write songs just for you. Placebo are that for me even now aged 40” says Ken.  And it would be diminishing not to mention PlaceboFans Uk: you’ve been very busy this afternoon on Twitter and I know it would mean a whole full lot for them, Brian, if you said a little hello to them.
B. Ok, Yeah, Sure!
C. It’s all Placebo fans and particularly the Manchester branch, this is,  of PlaceboFans Uk.
B. My sincerest greetings and salutations to the Manchester branch of PlaceboFans, blah blah blah....
C. Pure Morning was from Without you I’m nothing, Brian, and it’s one of the complete set of Placebo albums that had been reissued for the band’s twentieth anniversary and when that album came out you really..you were riding hype. How did you enjoy your success through the years. Have you been able to make the most of it?
B. Yeah, absolutely, I mean... from completely embracing the lifestyle to, Y’know, suffering from it and coming up the other side, really, I mean we have accumulated so many rock&roll clichรฉs you just have to watch Spinal Tap and y’know... It’s all real, Y’know.
C. Would you say you had tough times along the way, despite the success?
B. Yeah! The band was a band that sort of run on tension... Y’know...between the members...and that started off very very early on. We’re presently on our fourth drummer, for example! So...Yeah... it’s sometimes been quite difficult really...but Y’know, you can only do that for so long and I guess about 20 years, we had enough of  just like the struggle really.



C. If you could do it all over again, would you?
B. Oh, absolutely!
C. Would you do it the same way?
B. Uhm...I don’t know, I don’t know, I really don’t. Because, I mean, that was the knowledge I had at the time, that was the influences that I had, at the time... If I was to go back in time, it would probably end up being the same; if I was to do it now, it would probably be different.
C. Sure. Thanks for being so honest this afternoon, Brian.
B. No problem! I’m trying to be pathologically honest!
C. The tour starts on October 13th: this is a big tour, you’re gonna need to get in shape for this, Brian, not that you’re not, by the way! But on October 13th this Placebo tour to mark 20 years of first album coming out starts in Denmark and then it climaxes on a number of dates in the UK: Wembley Arena on December 15Th. And all of Placebo’s albums have been reissued. All of them, Meds is out now and Meds comes out the 8th of next month and from that album I got Broken promise which features Michael Stipe. Before we say goodbye, how did you hook up with Michael Stipe?
B. Well, we knew him from playing festivals with REM and I think the idea came up when we were slightly inebriated and thought “Yeeeeh, Let’s get Michael Stipe” thing and fully expected him to say no and he said yes and then we started shivering in our boots, basically, but he was extremely gracious and made us feel very comfortable. These are very lovely men.
C. As are you! Thanks Brian, thank you very much for sparing the time this afternoon: it’s been a real pleasure, thank you.
B. Thank you Chris!
C. Brian Molko from Placebo and here they are now: Broken Promise.
BROKEN PROMISE

Placebo Anyway and Laura Meneghetti