Saturday, April 19, 2014

Placebo - Serene is the key word here - Interview about Placebo with Rina Chetrit






 
Placebo - 20 Years to Go 20 Years to Know – That’s the trick in it



20 Placebo Anniversary


Interview with old school fan Rina Chetrit from Israel


by SusanneCk - Placebo Anyway



Placebo Anyway: When did you first listen to Placebo?
Rina Chetrit: Winter 1995 with 'Bruise Pristine' I was 24 years old. In some odd way, I've started listening to Alternative Rock music after Alan Wilder's departure from Depeche Mode. During this era, I couldn't listen to Depeche Mode's music at all for many months. I was devastated from this tragic news about him. He was the heart and soul of the band that I love over since winter 1983.
In a way, Placebo's music for proceeds the spirit and the musical concept of the album 'Songs of Faith and Devotion' cos dM at this album musical style became Electro-SynthRock.
The bond between those two amazing bands for me is so precious.
Placebo Anyway: What was so special about the band for you to become a fan?
Rina Chetrit: Brian and I are nearly at the same age, one year exactly apart between us.
I believe and mostly feel like Placebo's music was born and was influenced by the same material I was growing with. It's like a twin brother of mine who speaks at the same eye level of our generation and I can fully relate to the message and atmosphere of what Placebo wants to pass for the fans.


Placebo Anyway: How have you lived the last 20 years with the band and their music?
Rina Chetrit: As I've said above, Brian and I were growing together, therefore at age 24 and beyond, I'm already experienced something from life, Placebo's music is helping me to cope with my daily problems, and in the other hand makes me stronger than before. Sometimes I have tears of joy and in parallel tears of heart aching.
Placebo Anyway: You have been with the band from the beginning have you gone to all the concerts in your country? Some abroad? Do you have all their albums?
Rina Chetrit: Placebo waited 15 years for an invitation from an Israeli gigs promoter. Can I curse here?! Pfffftttt. The first time I saw them live was here in Tel Aviv – June 2010.
Since then I couldn't relax. I wanted more, soon and now. LLL was released and as well the tourlist, no Tel Aviv :( That was the moment I've decide seeing Placebo in Europe. It took me that long cos flights and hotels are so expensive and naturally I saw dM in Europe prior to Placebo and I was at M'era Luna festival. It's a blessing to have a wide musical taste.
So I told myself, I want to give myself a birthday present. I saw the dates and in a magical way Dave and Brian planned for me a triple birthday present… lol I saw dM at Ziggo Dome - Amsterdam 7/12/2013, Placebo at Ziggo Dome - Amsterdam 8/12/2013, Placebo at Bercy – Paris 10/12/2013 celebrating Brian's birthday. And Placebo in a way celebrated my birthday at Brixton – London 17/12/2013… lol I'm planning to see Placebo in Madrid on the 30/7/2014.
I'm hoping for a miracle to see them again here. Y'Know… seeing your beloved bands in your own country is a different feeling filled with loads of pride and supreme love.


Placebo Anyway: Good luck Rina!! We'll hope you can enjoy them again in Isreal!! Do you have any special collection? Vinyls, singles, dvd’s....?
Rina Chetrit: I have all CD's and all DVD's and a nice vinyl collection.
Deluxe box of 'Battle for the Sun'. Deluxe box of 'Loud Like Love'.
I wish to purchase more, but recently at those latest years it's hard to buy them directly from music stores especially in Israel, cos comparing to the 90's, I could see a nice amount of stores which brought a wide range from variety of music genres. These days it's only via web sites, needless to say that shipment costs sometimes even higher than the item itself.
Mmm… shall I pick my nose now? ;) lol


Placebo Anyway: Which song makes you feel closer to the band?
Rina Chetrit: I truly can't choose one song, I must honor 'Bruise Pristine' as the first song which opened my magical journey with the band, and as a genial video clip taking here as their debut single, as well Serene is a part of my Placebo tattoo.
The second song is 'Speak in Tongues' something about this powerful song gives me gallons of hope for the unknown future. Placebo is an endless real healing drug… ;)

 

Placebo Anyway: Do you see any difference between the fans from the beginning and the fans from nowadays?
Rina Chetrit: Of course I see a difference. It's naturally for old school fans having a history with their beloved bands cos they were growing with them parallel to their lives.
Placebo's music speaks to all, and I'm not gonna say mainstream god forbid… lol cos the motto is not having a fashionable music, cos by the time that spoken song/album is released… fashion has changed ;)
Placebo Anyway: Is there a stereotypical Placebo fan?
Rina Chetrit: Yes and no. Placebo has a huge fan base all over the world. Different ages, cultures, sexual orientations. But!! We feel as one unit of masses at the most intimate moments with our beloved band. The recent example is when LLL was launched with that 120 minutes live broadcast. I felt like Placebo sitting with us at our personal living rooms.
Placebo Anyway: What do you think about "Soulmates Never Die". Is this true?
Rina Chetrit: Hell Yeah!! Story of my life… mixed tears here. :( True friendship lasts forever.


Placebo Anyway: In your opinion, what unifies Placebo fans. What is the glue that puts them together?
Rina Chetrit: Placebo embraces all no matter which tags are labeled on the fans. In fact as I see it, Brian doesn't like being tagged nor labeled. He believes that through music messages can be transported to all hearts and souls of music lovers.
Placebo Anyway: How do you see the evolution of the band on a musical way?
Rina Chetrit: The musical evolution of Placebo is enormous. Seven albums which are different from the other, and in parallel having a reflection of their personal lives. Musical speaking, I can feel The Electronic sounds giving their first signs since 'Battle for the Sun' and it became very noticeable at 'Loud Like Love'. Brian said once in an interview, that it will be a challenge to create an album of pure Electronic music. 


Placebo Anyway: Do you think the inclusion of Steve Forrest gave the band something positive?
Rina Chetrit: First of all, Steve Forrest is extremely lucky being a member of Placebo at his young age. I feel he learns a lot from them. He joined Placebo during 'Battle for the Sun' era, an album which its main motto is to see the light at the most dark places in life. I see it as a very positive album, very refreshing and vital. I always see Placebo as eternal and young in heart even if 20 years passed already. Steve Forrest symbolizes the young and fresh spirit in the band. I appreciate all three drummers – Robert Schultzberg and mostly Steve Hewitt who was a major part of Placebo for a long period of time back then. If I return to Steve Forrest, at 'Battle for the Sun' those were his very first baby steps, while at 'Loud Like Love' we are looking at grown professional teenager. I'm sure he's so proud to be a Placebo member.


Placebo Anyway: Which difference do you see in Brian when you look back and compare it with how he is nowadays?
Rina Chetrit: Serene is the key word here. He's more relaxed now and so kinky even much more than those old school days. Brian will always be daring, crossing barriers of musical concepts and on top of all his unique way to bring something new to the world.
Placebo Anyway: In 3 seconds 3 words about Brian, Stefan and Steve!
Rina Chetrit: Brian – Prophet. Stefan – Noble. Steve – Wild.
Placebo Anyway: 20 Years to go...what is your wish for the next 20 Placebo years?
Rina Chetrit: I wish for Placebo to continue with their healing music forever more and always will be blend with their unique approach to message-technique-belief.




A Special Thank You to Rina Chetrit from Israel.
Design by SusanneCk - Placebo Anyway 
Photos: Cristhian Camarra, Placebo Anyway, Rina Chetrit and unknow sources.