Friday, November 5, 2021

🎈🎉𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘: 𝐅𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐀 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐄🎉🎈

Today Fiona Brice celebrates her birthday. She was part of the band for almost one decade (from 2008 to 2017) as touring member and studio musician.

🎈🎉 𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐘 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐀! 🎉🎈
𝐖𝐞 𝐰ðĒðŽðĄ ðēðĻðŪ 𝐚ðĨðĨ ð­ðĄðž 𝐛𝐞𝐎𝐭. 🎂


Photo credit: PhotoArtTeam (main photo), smaller pics unknown / edit by Silke

📌 𝗙𝗜ð—Ēð—Ąð—” ð—Ēð—Ą 𝗊ð—Ēð—Ĩð—žð—œð—Ąð—š 𝗊𝗜𝗧𝗛 ð—Ģ𝗟𝗔𝗖𝗘𝗕ð—Ē 📌
ðŸ“Ē ”I have known the band socially for many years because we have several friends in common in London, and we used to meet at gigs before Placebo became hugely successful and their tours took them away for long periods. Brian remembers seeing me playing violin with Michael J Sheehy about 10 years ago at the 12-bar club in London. At the time I was playing and writing with various bands, including Dream City Film Club. Coincidentally I was also in the band Tram for a while, and Bill Lloyd was in this band before me! Small world… But our musical paths didn’t officially merge until the band decided to use strings on the 'Meds' album. They asked me to write with them, and we found musical material and a sound that could add something to the songs without overpowering them. It worked well and after this I collaborated with Stefan on the strings for the Hotel Persona album.”
(Interview with Niki Phaser, January 2010)

🎎 𝗙ð—ķ𝗞ð—ŧð—Ū 𝘄ð—ķ𝘁ð—ĩ ð—Ģð—đð—Ū𝗰ð—ēð—Ŋ𝗞 – ð—Ķð—―ð—ē𝗰ð—ķð—Ūð—đ 𝗞 (𝗟𝗞ð—ŧð—ąð—žð—ŧ ðŸŪ𝟎𝟎ðŸĩ)
ðŸŽĩ https://bit.ly/2YyTkB3 ðŸŽĩ

♦️𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐈𝐄𝐖 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐅𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐀♦️


𝗊𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗜ð—Ķ 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļð—Ĩ 𝗠ð—Ļð—Ķ𝗜𝗖𝗔𝗟 𝗕𝗔𝗖𝗞𝗚ð—Ĩð—Ēð—Ļð—Ąð—— ð—”ð—Ąð—— 𝗛ð—Ē𝗊 𝗗𝗜𝗗 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļ 𝗚𝗘𝗧 ð—œð—Ąð—§ð—Ē 𝗖ð—Ē𝗠ð—Ģð—Ēð—Ķð—œð—Ąð—š 𝗠ð—Ļð—Ķ𝗜𝗖?
ðŸ“Ē “I started creating music from the age of four, when my mum gave me an old tape recorder with a microphone. I started making up songs and recording them. I don’t come from a musical family but I learnt recorder, piano and violin whilst at primary school, and I was encouraged by the excellent teachers at the county music service in Northamptonshire (NMPAT), playing in the Youth and Chamber Orchestras. This exposed me to the world of classical music and I fell in love with the String Orchestra repertoire, writing for chamber ensembles from 11 onwards with pieces performed by my peers. I went on to study at Kings College London and the Royal Academy of Music, studying composition with Silvena Milstein and Sir Harrison Birtwistle, but I found the academic world there creatively stifling, so I started playing with London-based rock bands instead.“

𝗊𝗘 𝗟ð—Ēð—Đ𝗘 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļð—Ĩ 𝗔𝗟𝗕ð—Ļ𝗠 'ð—Ģð—Ēð—Ķ𝗧𝗖𝗔ð—Ĩ𝗗ð—Ķ 𝗙ð—Ĩð—Ē𝗠', 𝗛ð—Ē𝗊 𝗊ð—Ēð—Ļ𝗟𝗗 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļ 𝗗𝗘ð—Ķ𝗖ð—Ĩ𝗜𝗕𝗘 𝗧𝗛𝗜ð—Ķ 𝗔𝗟𝗕ð—Ļ𝗠 𝗧ð—Ē ð—Ķð—Ē𝗠𝗘ð—Ēð—Ąð—˜ 𝗊𝗛ð—Ē 𝗛𝗔ð—Ķð—Ą'𝗧 𝗛𝗘𝗔ð—Ĩ𝗗 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļð—Ĩ 𝗠ð—Ļð—Ķ𝗜𝗖 𝗕𝗘𝗙ð—Ēð—Ĩ𝗘?
ðŸ“Ē “Thank you! It is chamber music for piano, violin and cello. Reflective, consonant, relaxing. It is inspired by travel and each piece was conceived in the city it is named after. It represents my emotional response to that location at that particular time. I am not attempting to represent the place itself, just me within it.“

𝗊𝗘 ð—Ķ𝗔𝗊 𝗧𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļ 𝗖ð—Ē𝗟𝗟𝗔𝗕ð—Ēð—Ĩ𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗊𝗜𝗧𝗛 𝗕ð—Ĩð—Ē𝗧𝗛𝗘ð—Ĩ 𝗧ð—Ĩ𝗘𝗘 ð—Ķð—Ēð—Ļð—Ąð—— 𝗙ð—Ēð—Ĩ 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļð—Ĩ 𝗧𝗛ð—Ĩ𝗘𝗘 ð—Ģ𝗜𝗘𝗖𝗘 'ð—Ķ𝗧ð—Ĩð—œð—Ąð—š ð—Īð—Ļ𝗔ð—Ĩ𝗧𝗘𝗧 ð—Ąð—Ē. 𝟭', 𝗊𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 𝗊𝗘 ð—§ð—›ð—œð—Ąð—ž 𝗜ð—Ķ ð—œð—Ąð—–ð—Ĩ𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗕𝗟𝗎 𝗕𝗘𝗔ð—Ļ𝗧𝗜𝗙ð—Ļ𝗟 𝗕𝗎 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗊𝗔𝗎. 𝗊𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗊𝗔ð—Ķ 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗖ð—Ē𝗟𝗟𝗔𝗕ð—Ēð—Ĩ𝗔𝗧𝗜ð—Ēð—Ą ð—Ģð—Ĩð—Ē𝗖𝗘ð—Ķð—Ķ 𝗟𝗜𝗞𝗘 ð—”ð—Ąð—— 𝗜ð—Ķ 𝗧𝗛𝗘ð—Ĩ𝗘 ð—”ð—Ą ð—œð—Ąð—Ķð—Ģ𝗜ð—Ĩ𝗔𝗧𝗜ð—Ēð—Ą 𝗙ð—Ēð—Ĩ 𝗧𝗛𝗜ð—Ķ ð—Ģ𝗜𝗘𝗖𝗘?
ðŸ“Ē “I was approached by Brother Tree Sound, led by fellow violinist Anna de Bruin, to see if I had anything they could perform at their debut concert. I had been working on a string quartet that was nearly finished so I offered to finish it for them to premiere. They gave me the incentive I needed to complete the work, basically. I love writing for string quartet because it is the perfect capsule ensemble. I have the players in mind when I am writing, always asking myself ‘How would it feel to play this?’ I want it to be exciting and satisfying for the performers. I am inspired by the quartet repertoire in general, and by the love of playing that music.“

𝗊𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗔𝗧ð—Ĩ𝗘 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļ ð—Ļð—Ģ 𝗧ð—Ē, 𝗠ð—Ļð—Ķ𝗜𝗖-𝗊𝗜ð—Ķ𝗘, 𝗔𝗧 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗠ð—Ēð— ð—˜ð—Ąð—§?
ðŸ“Ē “I’m currently working on music for a BBC documentary, and I am close to finishing my second solo album, which is a lot more sonically ambitious than “Postcards From”. I have a new work being released by the Thesis Project in the new year, and will continue writing orchestral arrangements for bands and touring with different artists.“

Photo credit: stagr.de

𝗗ð—Ē 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļ 𝗛𝗔ð—Đ𝗘 ð—”ð—Ąð—Ž 𝗠ð—Ļð—Ķ𝗜𝗖𝗔𝗟 ð—œð—Ąð—™ð—Ÿð—Ļð—˜ð—Ąð—–ð—˜ð—Ķ? 𝗜𝗙 ð—Ķð—Ē, 𝗊𝗛ð—Ē ð—”ð—Ąð—— 𝗊𝗛𝗎?
ðŸ“Ē “Yes particularly my early influences.. Bartok, Prince, Shostakovich, Blondie, Lennox Berkeley, Bach, Mozart, The Velvet Underground, Debussy. The genre distinction was irrelevant to me, I didn’t hear ‘pop’ or ‘classical’, I just connected with their music. Obviously my musical tastes have developed with age and I listen to a wide range of music but I know that these artists have informed my writing and arranging style.“

🎎 𝐅ðĒðĻ𝐧𝐚 𝐁ðŦðĒ𝐜𝐞 – 𝐃𝐚ðĨðĨ𝐚𝐎 (𝐎𝐟𝐟ðĒ𝐜ðĒ𝐚ðĨ ðŊðĒ𝐝𝐞ðĻ)
ðŸŽĩ https://bit.ly/3ln3HRe ðŸŽĩ

𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļð—Ĩ 𝗕𝗔𝗖𝗞𝗚ð—Ĩð—Ēð—Ļð—Ąð—— 𝗔ð—Ķ 𝗔 ð—Đ𝗜ð—Ēð—Ÿð—œð—Ąð—œð—Ķ𝗧 𝗜ð—Ķ ð—Đ𝗘ð—Ĩ𝗎 𝗜𝗠ð—Ģð—Ĩ𝗘ð—Ķð—Ķ𝗜ð—Đ𝗘. 𝗜ð—Ķ 𝗧𝗛𝗘ð—Ĩ𝗘 𝗔 𝗠ð—Ēð— ð—˜ð—Ąð—§ ð—œð—Ą 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļð—Ĩ 𝗖𝗔ð—Ĩ𝗘𝗘ð—Ĩ ð—Ķð—Ē 𝗙𝗔ð—Ĩ 𝗧𝗛𝗔𝗧 ð—Ķð—§ð—”ð—Ąð——ð—Ķ ð—Ēð—Ļ𝗧 𝗔ð—Ķ 𝗔 𝗛𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗟𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧 𝗙ð—Ēð—Ĩ 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļ?
ðŸ“Ē “Performing with Placebo at Angkor Wat temple, Cambodia for MTV was pretty special. It was my first gig with the band, and I went on to tour with them for nearly a decade. I’m also particularly proud of some of the recording work I have done with John Grant, especially the violin line on ‘Mars’. It was a good day when I came up with that. Performing with Roy Harper is always a memorable experience and it is a privilege to be onstage with him. Actually, whenever I go into an orchestral session at Abbey Road or Air, I feel proud of the musical heritage, the lineage running through those great studios, and I don’t ever take that work for granted.“

𝗜ð—Ķ 𝗧𝗛𝗘ð—Ĩ𝗘 ð—”ð—Ąð—Ž 𝗔𝗗ð—Đ𝗜𝗖𝗘 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļ 𝗊ð—Ēð—Ļ𝗟𝗗 𝗚𝗜ð—Đ𝗘 𝗧ð—Ē ð—Ķð—Ē𝗠𝗘ð—Ēð—Ąð—˜ 𝗟ð—Ēð—Ēð—žð—œð—Ąð—š 𝗧ð—Ē 𝗚𝗘𝗧 ð—œð—Ąð—§ð—Ē 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗠ð—Ļð—Ķ𝗜𝗖 ð—œð—Ąð——ð—Ļð—Ķ𝗧ð—Ĩ𝗎 𝗧ð—Ē 𝗕𝗘 𝗔 𝗖ð—Ē𝗠ð—Ģð—Ēð—Ķ𝗘ð—Ĩ ð—”ð—Ąð——/ð—Ēð—Ĩ 𝗔ð—Ĩð—Ĩð—”ð—Ąð—šð—˜ð—Ĩ 𝗟𝗜𝗞𝗘 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļð—Ĩð—Ķ𝗘𝗟𝗙?
ðŸ“Ē “Be humble. Be polite. Be on time. Listen. Don’t be scared of silence. Serve the song, not your own ego.“

𝗊𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗜ð—Ķ 𝗧𝗛𝗘 ð— ð—˜ð—”ð—Ąð—œð—Ąð—š ð—Ē𝗙 𝗠ð—Ļð—Ķ𝗜𝗖 𝗙ð—Ēð—Ĩ 𝗎ð—Ēð—Ļ?
ðŸ“Ē “Music is a vital language, an important form of communication. Composing allows me to create a tranquil space, to process my emotional responses to this world in an abstract but hopefully meaningful way.“
(Contemplative Classical, January 24th 2019)

Post by Silke