Thursday, June 4, 2015

Stefan Olsdal and Placebo - celebrating 20 years



Read short, but lovely and interesting interview with Stefan Olsdal about his plans for following years and other details! 

"Producing or singing in front of a 15,000 crowd?
One is cerebrally more rewarding, whereas the live experience is more of a primal rush. My body needs both!"

-------

Stefan Alexander Bo Olsdal is the legendary guitar player of this “little band” called...Placebo. Yes, you heard it right! Stefan was kind enough to share with Backstyle a bit of his free time, which is getting smaller each day since he started producing internationally known musicians.


The artist was born in Sweden and although he is Placebo and Placebo is he, Stefan has also put his print on Hotel Persona, SPAM and the latest collaboration is with Lantalba, which we've already introduced to you in an exclusive interview a year ago.




What’s the secret to a 20 years old relationship – Placebo and you?

If you really want a relationship to work, you find a way. It's about how much it means to you and the effort you are prepared to put in.

What’s your favorite music instrument?

Cello and I wish I could play it!

How is Stefan as part of Placebo and Stefan the producer?

Easy to work with.

Is it hard to set aside your Placebo print and produce something without leaving too much of yourself?

I put all of myself into producing Lantalba’s album. I've been a fan for years and I couldn't help but let all my ideas flood out! Most of it she liked, but some ideas had to go, naturally.

Can you name a few walls you’ve struck upon as a producer?

I spent a few sleepless nights trying to get the rhythms right. The vocals and groove carry the song. Even though I had spent years recording, I found that some of my mixing techniques needed some adjusting. It's all about getting the best possible recorded source sound. It makes every stage up to and including mixing much easier.

Producing or singing in front of a 15,000 crowd?

One is cerebrally more rewarding, whereas the live experience is more of a primal rush. My body needs both!

When was the last time you attended a concert, besides your own?

Ennio Morricone in London.

What are your plans for the next couple of years?

Placebo will be doing some special events for its 20 year anniversary during the next year. I am also doing an electronic project with Digital21. The first single 'War' is out now and the album along with live shows will follow shortly.

Can you describe the perfect day in Madrid?

A slow stroll from one end of town to the other. It's a great city for walking as people live their lives more out on the streets.

You have a strong fashion style, how did you built it up along the years, what inspired you?

It has gradually become more black and functional with too many overpriced designer shirts thrown in. I am very tall and skinny so sometimes only the catwalk sizes fit me.

I want to retire...

Musicians don't retire.

Vacation means...

Time at home.

On my couch...

Seldom.

In my wardrobe...

Duplicates of my favorite clothes.

Style is...

You.

If you would like to keep up with Stefan Olsdal, don’t forget to check out his Instagram account.


Photo: Pinterest



Credits: Backstyle.net