Saturday, May 17, 2014

Placebo: I found myself in their music, and that is what makes it special. Interview with Middle School Fan Monique Nickay Laubschner from Southafrica


Placebo 20 Anniversary - Interview with Middle School fan 
Monique Nickay Laubscher from Southafrica
by SusanneCk with the helping hand of Diana E.T.Foghin– Placebo Anyway



Placebo Anyway: When did you first listen to Placebo? Did you start to listen to the band with one of their albums or a special song?
Monique: The first song that I unknowingly heard of Placebo, was Pure Morning. This was round about 2003. I liked it, but never would I have guessed that a few years later, I would fall madly in love with them. Blind was the song that had me hook, line and sinker. After that, I invested in their album Meds, and I have been crazy for them ever since.




Placebo Anyway: What was so special about the band for you to become a fan? 
Monique: Oh wow. Honestly, the connection that I share with Placebo is beyond emotional. Every thing about Placebo is alluring. It is a deadly combo; the vocals, the music, but most of all the lyrics. 
I don't think that people can comprehend ones love for Placebo if they are not emotionally damaged. This band has been there for me in ways that no being has ever been. They make you feel that you are a part of something - a part of them. They don't judge or criticise; they enhance and they encourage. I found myself in their music, and that is what makes it special. They stimulate my mind completely and they never seem to disappoint.



Placebo Anyway: Which difference do you see in the band between 2003 and 2014?
Monique: A lot of people would say that Placebo has changed over the years, sometimes for the best, and sometimes for the worst. But my personal opinion is, that I have grown up, and that Placebo has grown with me. They still suit my life perfectly. And what I adore the most about this band, is that they remain constant. I still see them through the same eyes as I did the very first time. They still make my heart stutter. They are just getting better and better. It is the only band who has not changed and they still please me.

Placebo Anyway: How have you lived the years from 2003 on with the band and their music?
Monique: Placebo plays quite a big role in my life. Some would say that I am obsessed *laughs out loud* But I just appreciate them so tremendously much. This band has touched my heart so deeply that I cannot go a day without them. 
It is a constant emotional rush that I can never begin to put in words, and even if I do, it will never justify the pure devotion and adoration that I have for them. They are my guidance. They are my shoulder. They are my voice when I cannot speak. This is why I need them in my life. I start my day with them and I end it with them.


Placebo Anyway: Have you been to the gigs of the LLL tour 2013?
Monique: Unfortunately not. This depresses my so damn much; I want to see them. I want to experience them. I tweet them on a regular basis and beg for them to come to my country. Who knows, maybe they will surprise me one day. Hopefully before I die.

Placebo Anyway: What about your Placebo CDs? Do you have all their albums? Any special collection? Vinyls, singles, dvds?
Monique: Hell yes. I have all their albums and music videos. Also the Loud Like Love Limited Deluxe Edition. But as for special collections; it is quite hard to get your hands on those in my country.

Placebo Anyway: Choose three songs from the area 2006 to 2014 which makes you feel closer to the band? 
Monique: Definitely Special Needs, Blind and The Bitter End. Oldies but goldies.

Placebo Anyway: Do you see any difference between the fans from 2003 and the fans from nowadays?
Monique: I think that Placebo has built quite a fan base over the years. What I do know is that Placebo has had a massive impact on every single one of their fans. It does not matter if you are an old school, middle school or new school fan; the only thing that matters is that somewhere between the madness, a person is affected by something breathtakingly powerful and mind altering. 

Placebo Anyway: Is there a stereotypical Placebo fan?
Monique: I don't really know. Sometimes I do think so. I see Placebo fans as witty, smart, intelligent and mesmerising, because it takes a beautiful mind to love something that is so completely indifferent. 





Placebo Anyway: What do you think about "Soulmates Never Die". Is this true?
Monique: I think that every person has a soulmate, and it is not necessarily a man for a woman and visa versa. Mine is my best friend. She is the only person in this world with whom I have an unexplained connection with. And we have had our fights, we have had our issues, we have been annoyed with each other, we have been separated for a very long time, but we defied distance. We can conquer anything because we are soulmates. We both understand each other in a way that no other being could understand us. I love this person endlessly! We were born to be brought into each other's lives. And we still stand by each other where other friendships might have failed. So yes, I do believe soulmates never die.

Placebo Anyway: In your opinion, what unifies Placebo fans. What is the glue that puts them together?
Monique: Different people come together and realise that they have one thing in common; we are all misfits. But we are not ashamed of that, because Placebo has taught us that it is okay to be different. It is perfectly fine to feel passionate about certain things that some would not approve of. Not everyone can sit down and listen to Placebo and just feel an instant connection, because there is only a hand full of people who can comprehend and relate to this type of music. I love my fellow Placebo fans as much as I love the band, because we all share something beautiful and rare. I wish for everyone to be as touched by Placebo as I am. It is truly the best thing that has happened to me. If you love Placebo, you already have a small part of me.


 

Placebo Anyway: Do you think the inclusion of Steve Forrest gave the band something positive?
Monique: I think that Brian and Stefan was at a very low point after what they had been through with Steve Hewitt. I think that they were not really sure where to go from there and how to work around it. But Steve Forrest gave Placebo meaning again. And I think that he lifted Placebo's spirit again. He is extremely talented and including him in the band was their best decision yet.

Placebo Anyway: Do you have a Placebo favourite member? Brian, Stefan, Steve? And why?
Monique: Of course it is Brain Molko. He is the heart of the band. Placebo without Brian would be meaningless. He possesses "every trait that I lack. He is what I can only dream to be.



Placebo Anyway: Which difference do you see in Brian when you look back and compare it with how he is nowadays?
Monique: Look, I absolutely love Brian Molko in all his ways and styles. He was something special from the kickstart. But I think that he has grown up and takes better care of himself now. He has experienced almost everything and he kept the good. 

Placebo Anyway: In 3 seconds 3 words about Brian, Stefan and Steve!
Monique: They shall please!

Placebo Anyway: 20 Years to go. What is your wish for the next 20 Placebo years?
Monique: I wish for them to remain the love of my life. To stay as unique as they are and to become even bigger and better. I wish nothing but happiness and contentment for the band members, because they deserve it after the past 20 years. I wish for them to find peace and comfort in everything that they may face in the next 20 years to come. And I wish for their fans to stand by them and support them through the good and the band, because no one is perfect. 


Thank your for taking part in this interview! 
Placebo Anyway






Placebo 20 Anniversary - Interview with Middle School fan 
Monique Nickay Laubscher from Southafrica
by SusanneCk with the helping hand of Diana E.T. Foghin – Placebo Anyway