Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Placebo fans are caring for each other - Interview with "freshy" Middle School Fan Heike Bonsai from Germany



Placebo 20 Anniversary - Interview with Middle School fan Heike Bonsai from Germany!
by SusanneCkPlacebo Anyway



Placebo Anyway: When did you first listen to Placebo?  Did you start to listen to the band with one of their albums or a special song?
Heike Bonsai: I first heard of Placebo in 2009 because they did the headlining on a festival instead of my fav band I had these days. The singer got ill very seriously (cancer) and they had to cancel many gigs. I just saw on YT that Brian was sending out a message to the singer before “The Bitter End” during that gig. But I just had listen to what he said and not the song. But I thought: “Wow, he's cool!”
Than in 2010 a few sad things happend and I started resenting the music of the other band. And I walked around for half a year without having a band that really touched my heart and I felt so empty that time. One saturday in summer 2011 a guy here on FB posted “The Bitter End” and I thought:”That was that cool guy from Pinkpop”, clicked the link and listend to “The Bitter End”. It was love at first sight, so to speak... The rest of the day I was busy listening to Placebo on YT. I orderd Battle for the Sun and that's it.



Placebo Anyway: What was so special about the band for you to become a fan? 
Heike Bonsai: Definitly the lyrics. No other lyrics touched me so deeply so far like the lyrics of Placebo. I always felt understood, y' know. Like he's exactly telling what I feel and I can't articulate...

Placebo Anyway: Which difference you see in the band between 2009 and 2014?
Heike Bonsai: Well Brian has grown up, I think. And he changed his life style very much. He became a father, he became sober and that changed his whole attitude in my opinion, also like the rest of the band. 

Placebo Anyway: How have you lived the years from 2011 on with the band and their music?
Heike Bonsai: Happier, more complete. I know that do sounds cheesy, but it's actually like that.



Placebo Anyway: Have you been to the gigs of the LLL tour 2013?  Where have you been and what is your impresion about the show or shows you have been? 
Heike Bonsai: I was on 4 gigs, in Munich,  in Vienna, in Frankfurt and in London. And to be honest, I can't remember special details, coz I felt like in trance... I was just so impressed by their presence and every now and then a bit worried, because Brian seemed not so happy. 
Anyway, these concerts were all very special for me, seeing them live, beeing so near, hearing all these songs live. The greatest thing was my first concert in Munich, we were standing in third row and the moment, when they all came on stage is something I will never forget. They came out and I had goosebumps all over and tears in my eyes. And hearing “The Bitter End” live for the first time was also very special. It's actually a really powerful song, live even more. The riffs are just mindblowing.

Placebo Anyway: Have you gone to all the concerts in your country? Some abroad? Which one are your favourite ones: festivals or venues?
Heike Bonsai: No I haven't, just two gigs in Germany – in Munich and in Frankfurt. And two in other countries. I loved seeing them in Frankfurt, coz the venue there is really small and familar with a great acoustic. We had seats in front row directly over the stage. That was great and felt like sitting on their laps. -:-D And the gig at Brixton was just “wooooow”. Again third row and the audience was a blast. Brian was a 'lil more chatty and it was a huge party!



Placebo Anyway: What about your Placebo CD’s? Do you have all their albums? Any special collection? Vinyls, singles, dvd’s....?
Heike Bonsai: I have all their albums but unfortunatly no special collections. I'm planning to get myself a record player and some vinyls. That would be awesome!


Placebo Anyway: Choose three songs from the area 1996 to 2014 which makes you feel closer to the band? 
Heike Bonsai: The Bitter End, coz that is the first song I heard, I'll be Yours and Breathe Underwater, which I cannot explain really. These are three songs, which I feel very close to in general. But on the other hand it depends on my mood.


Placebo Anyway: Do you see any difference between the fans from 2009 and the fans from nowadays?
Heike Bonsai: Not really to be honest. But there a many “freshies” at the moment, very young people. And I have to admit, that I see myself as a “freshy” as well, because I'm only a fan for about 3 years now... I wish, I had become a fan way earlier!



Placebo Anyway: Is there a stereotypical Placebo fan?
Heike Bonsai: I don't think so actually, because everybody is different, but I think that Placebo fans are a special type of human beeing... More tolerant and open minded...

Placebo Anyway: How is for you a typical German Placebo fan?
Heike Bonsai: That is a good question!!! I'm not sure! I think typical for a German Placebo fan is at least, that there is no day without listening to their music. But I think that is typical for EVERY fan.

Placebo Anyway: What do you think about "Soulmates Never Die". Is this true?
Heike Bonsai: Yes! There is a special connection between Placebo fans which I never experienced before. Placebo fans are caring for each other, I guess. And it feels great to be part of that family!

Placebo Anyway: In your opinion, what unifies Placebo fans. What is the glue that puts them together?
Heike Bonsai: Brian and his way of seeing the world and what's going on in it... The music, the lyrics and the special feeling most of us have for the guys.



Placebo Anyway: You are part of the Placebo Anyway Team on Facebook? How does it makes you feel? 
Heike Bonsai: Proud... Happy... Because the other girls of the team are just gorgeous and cute and it's great to be a part of that family.

Placebo Anyway: What do you think about Brian’s opion about social networking and having too many friends on Internet?
Heike Bonsai: 50 / 50... He's right in many things, but on the other hand social networking can be great to meet real friends. I've met one of my closest friends here on FB. She is a huge Placebo fan as well. And one day we changed phone numbers, talked for hours on the phone and finally met in person (glad, she's from Germany as well). And now we see us at least every three month (500 km between us). And she really is my soulmate, my twin sister so speak.

Placebo Anyway: How do you see the evolution of the band on a musical way? 
Heike Bonsai: I think it's huge, because Brian is very intelligent and not just him, the rest of the guys as well. And they all got older, got different points of view, which is normal. And this finally is an influence on their songwriting I guess.



Placebo Anyway: Do you think the inclusion of Steve Forrest gave the band somehting positve?
Heike Bonsai: Definitly! He is a sunshine. And I became a fan in 2011, so I never had a real connection to Steve Hewitt. But Fiona and Nick gave them something positive as well. As Brian said in a documentary, they all gave back some enthusiasm, youth... And it's great how good this team seems to work.

Placebo Anyway: Do you have a Placebo favourite member? Brian, Stef, Steve…and why?
Heike Bonsai: Brian, because he is like he actually is. He is special and unique in all he's doing. And he gave me something really precious – his music, which is so important for me. But I do love them all and the great chemistry between them! Nick and Steve for example, they're just cute, aren't they?!



Placebo Anyway: Which difference do you see in Brian when you look back and compare it with how he is nowadays?
Heike Bonsai: He's healthier, because he's sober. That really make a big change of his person! And I don't know, if it is, because I'm a new fan, but I like this actual Brian more because of that. But as I said before, I'm a bit worried, because he really seems to be quite unhappy a bit at the moment. On stage he was so introverted... Dunno

Placebo Anyway: In 3 seconds 3 words about Brian, Stefan and Steve!
Heike Bonsai: authentic, unique, honest

Placebo Anyway: 20 Years to go...what is your wish for the next 20 Placebo years?
Heike Bonsai: Loads of great songs, great gigs and enjoing this with all these great people around!

Placebo Anyway: Thank your for taking part in this interview Heike!



Placebo 20 Anniversary - Interview with Middle "freshy" School fan Heike Bonsai from Germany!
by SusanneCk with the helping hand of Diana E.T. FoghingPlacebo Anyway


Photos: Danielle Barraco, Edward Bishop, Mercedes Benz A Rock 07//05/2012, Thomas Bowles, Steffen Schmid Gig-blog.net.